Multipanel adhesive

Jude1234

I found a few things out about Multipanel adhesive.  Firstly, the tubes don't have a very long shelf life, so make sure the ones you get are all in date.  I had a couple of duff tubes that had gone hard the first time I bought some, which was a few years ago now.  The stuff is solvent based, like gripfill, and I have a strong suspicion it really is gripfill re-branded, but I wasn't going to put that to the test. 

I found by accident that water-based grab adhesive doesn't bond to the rear of Multipanel at all, as I was using an offcut of the stuff to rest a gun with the Screwfix solvent-free No Nonsense stuff (which is fine for bonding wood to plasterboard etc).  Inevitably some of the solvent-free stuff ended up on the offcut of Multipanel and it just fell off when it was set, which is a good indication that it'd be useless for sticking the stuff to a wall with.

One problem with using the Multipanel adhesive that I've found is that you don't have much working time at all, especially in warm weather.  The solvent starts to evaporate and the stuff starts to skin over within a few tens of seconds, so you really have to have everything ready to go, so you can fit the panels up as quickly as possible after applying the adhesive.

• Thanks 1

Ever build Stixall was what I used on Mermaid panels and you get a good 5-10 mins to apply and position / reposition vs the solvent grip fill types of adhesive / sealants. 

Gripfill is quite shit to use on anything that takes more than 20 seconds to apply and set into place. I’d avoid GF completely for this job. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Ever build Stixall was what I used on Mermaid panels and you get a good 5-10 mins to apply and position / reposition vs the solvent grip fill types of adhesive / sealants. 

Gripfill is quite shit to use on anything that takes more than 20 seconds to apply and set into place. I’d avoid GF completely for this job. 

Sadly, as @PeterW mentioned, you have to use the Multipanel adhesive to get their warranty.  I'm convinced it's just gripfill, but with a higher price tag, as it smells the same, looks the same and behaves the same, which is a pain, but if you follow the Multipanel MIs, and  dry fit everything first, you can fit the stuff OK.

• Thanks 2