Oak Engineered doors warping

Shell820810

We had doors stacked for a few months, and just hung them and noticed a few of them have bowed/warped.  Its only 1 -2 mm but just noticeable as sitting out beyond the frame.  Warranty states anything under 6mm difference from one side to the other is not a fault and is natural movement of timber.  Any comeback on the warranty or anything to rectify. 

You have to be really careful stacking any natural wood products.  You will tpyically need to store them perfectly flat or perfectly vertical with regular spacers between each door.  If you don't then you can get differential moisture gradients across the wood and this can cause warping either during storage or after being hung and the gradient equalises.  The warping might be transient, but if it isn't then it is problem to rectify.

Even more so on engineered as that likes to absorb moisture and respond in a worse way than natural, solid timber. 

Fitted solid oak work tops in a country cottage rental a few years back and the place was ice cold and damp. Customer brought the work tops to site a bit to soon and the buggers warped about 10mm end to end. I got some metal clamps and braced right through the tops, whacked hardwood shims in between the clamp bars and the high points and chucked a bucket of water over them. No method to my madness other than I thought it would cure them....and it did. I biscuit jointed hardwood end caps on ASAP and they are still there today. 

Tbh, 1-2mm warp for doors stored on site for a couple / few months isn't bad, you got off lightly IMHO. 

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Doubt it. How were they stored ? ( exact detail please ). 

They were stacked on top of each other 10 or 11 high, on top of 3 or 4 evenly spaced roofing battons to keep them off the floor. It was probably the top one that warped and another random one towards the bottom of the stack. Nothing between the doors other than the protective covering from the shop.

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

Even more so on engineered as that likes to absorb moisture and respond in a worse way than natural, solid timber. 

Fitted solid oak work tops in a country cottage rental a few years back and the place was ice cold and damp. Customer brought the work tops to site a bit to soon and the buggers warped about 10mm end to end. I got some metal clamps and braced right through the tops, whacked hardwood shims in between the clamp bars and the high points and chucked a bucket of water over them. No method to my madness other than I thought it would cure them....and it did. I biscuit jointed hardwood end caps on ASAP and they are still there today. 

Tbh, 1-2mm warp for doors stored on site for a couple / few months isn't bad, you got off lightly IMHO. 

Just been reading up and a bit of weight on the affected area for a week or so can often do the trick. Not sure if its worth the risk of doing more harm??

1 hour ago, TerryE said:

You have to be really careful stacking any natural wood products.  You will tpyically need to store them perfectly flat or perfectly vertical with regular spacers between each door.  If you don't then you can get differential moisture gradients across the wood and this can cause warping either during storage or after being hung and the gradient equalises.  The warping might be transient, but if it isn't then it is problem to rectify.

They were perfectly flat, but no spacers between them.

You normally fit spacers ( door stop size timber ) between them to allow airflow. 

If it's just one or two then maybe worth trying, but it could go wrong tbh. 1-2mm isn't going to be something anyone other than you notices so maybe best left alone, or buy 2 new doors and gum tree the others?

I have 2 that have warped about 2-3mm at the top. Door still opens and closes so its not worth the time and effort to fix yet. It's just something that happens and I can live with it. Each new door and a joiner to hang one will be approx £150 so unless it's really really annoying you I would let it be.