Render for ICF walls

RichS

As per title, what have people used to render their ICF structures.

As far as I'm aware a two coat, thin coat render is the preferred option but what make have people used and what problems if any have been encountered.

And where is the best place to buy from.

1 hour ago, RichS said:

[...]

what make have people used and what problems if any have been encountered.

[...]

My attempts at render is exactly what's concerning me at the moment. My concern is the lack of consistency.

Lets hope that @nod (Gary) reads this: he's our man

Materials: I have used plastering sand, cement, and lime, 3:1:1 on Durisol.

Technique: Mix it to a sloppy consistency, apply with a house brush (£2.60 form the local  BM). I have tried a variety of 'thicknesses'. 

Its now bone hard. I can hit it quite hard with a hammer and nothing happens.  But have a look at this

20180814_175914.thumb.jpg.4ad79750a5993f71b6a296c77cfba8b5.jpg

Look at the difference in colour. I'm not sure why. But I suspect my lack of experience in mixing and - just possibly - a different bag of sand. Not sure.

Cost? I don't think I've spent more than £100 on the whole house. 

My concern is also my poor application of the 'slurry' Sometimes I lay it on thick, others, thin. And you can see the difference. That doesn't matter to much because it will all disappear behind the Kloeber Permo Forte. Sometimes the surface is hard but a bit dusty, others bone hard.

'Spect I'm overthinking it.....

@nod  Gary, what do you think?

Very similar method to what stones describes in blog. We are currently hand (never thought of using a orbital sander ....bugger) rasping the icf back just now with the render guy starting next week. We are also going for the rough texture rather than smooth. 

I really wouldn’t worry Ian

a slight variation in the amount of lime will alter the colour 

Regarding the thickness As long as every inch is covered you will be fine 

Looks like you have worked hard on it 

well done ? 

Hi @RichS

Apparently Lotusan is still the best product out there at the moment. I know a recent project came in at £50/m2 installed.

Im still considering whether a traditional sand and cement render is the way to go for my ICF walls; I need my house to fit in with the C19th neighbours. My worry is acyclic renders look a bit too perfect and crisp. But sand and cement render could fail if too heavy and the mesh fixings aren't adequate.

What product are you leaning towards?