What constitutes commencement of works for planning purposes. (Need to keep the consent live without doing anything much)

Coopers

Hi Guys.

Our extension/refurb PP will expire on 12th Aug. New first floor, single storey extension, garage conversion, internal alterations and 1.5 storey detached  garage block. 

I've seen guidance that suggests that the "digging of a trench for foundations, or part of foundations" is sufficient. Would the trench have to be full depth? The planning officer told me a dated photo could be sufficient. 

But what if were to start something else? eg punching a hole for a window in the side of the garage? or starting on the internal alterations... it's all part of the same scheme...

Thanks in advance. 

It's all very subjective and down to the interpretation of your planning department

In our case the planning was for "construction of new house, create new entrance from the highway, installation of sewage treatment plant" and I got it in writing from the planners that creating the new entrance from the highway constituted "starting" the development. (it was a condition of the planning that this had to be done before any building work started)

I guess the question is what are you able to do by the deadline?  If you could dig the footings and pour the concrete for the extension there would be no doubt you have started. But equally if you plan to start some of the internal alterations covered by the pp, just ask your planning department if they are happy to accept this as "starting" the development.

I had a similar situation. I checked first with building control and then confirmed what they proposed with the  planning dept. I had to dig part of the foundations, about a 5m length to the proper depth and part fill it with concrete. I then could send in photos with date stamp on them to satisfy the departments. I did ask if there was any slightly less non invasive work i could do instead but they insisted this was the easiest option for me. As Prodave says every development is different , I did ask if i could dig the trench for the drain or soakaway but this didnt satisfy my council/BC. I have to say BC were more approachable and understood that I just didnt want to lose my permission and not as 'officious' as the planning dept

5 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

As I read it this would be enough

'...the digging of a trench which is to contain the foundations, or part of the foundations, of a building;...'

(The Town and Country Planning Act 1990)

Get yer shovel out.......:$

Thanks chaps. Yes this is what I had read. It implies no need to pour concrete. As usual the lines are blurring in my mind with the mention of BC. Surely they would not even be involved in this ?

18 minutes ago, Coopers said:

As usual the lines are blurring in my mind with the mention of BC. Surely they would not even be involved in this ?

Planning is exactly that, planning. 

Building Control will need the evidence of commencement. @pauldoc 's post above should do much to reassure you.

1 hour ago, Coopers said:

Hi Guys.

Our extension/refurb PP will expire on 12th Aug. New first floor, single storey extension, garage conversion, internal alterations and 1.5 storey detached  garage block. 

I've seen guidance that suggests that the "digging of a trench for foundations, or part of foundations" is sufficient. Would the trench have to be full depth? The planning officer told me a dated photo could be sufficient. 

But what if were to start something else? eg punching a hole for a window in the side of the garage? or starting on the internal alterations... it's all part of the same scheme...

Thanks in advance. 

I don't see any problem here in havinig a candid conversation with your planners - they should be willing to give a straightforward answer.

When they have given you an answer, confirm it in writing referencing your conversation by date and content, and officer name.

Also check your "pre-commencement" conditions, which may identify things that you must also have done and evidenced. 

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

19 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I don't see any problem here in havinig a candid conversation with your planners - they should be willing to give a straightforward answer.

When they have given you an answer, confirm it in writing referencing your conversation by date and content, and officer name.

Also check your "pre-commencement" conditions, which may identify things that you must also have done and evidenced. 

Ferdinand

+1 get it in writing/email. I sent an email to BC with what we had discussed and asked them to reply confirming they agreed

and def check any pre commencement conditions have been discharged. These caught me out as they can take 8 weeks to discharge

On 22/07/2016 at 17:35, pauldoc said:

+1 get it in writing/email. I sent an email to BC with what we had discussed and asked them to reply confirming they agreed

and def check any pre commencement conditions have been discharged. These caught me out as they can take 8 weeks to discharge

Yes, that's one thing I failed to mention. We are awaiting approval of materials. If they take the full 8 weeks, we are stuffed. It's very simple, ie Oak cladding and clay tiles, and they did not require samples. 

As long as its not complex you can do it yourself - get a square piece of OSB that is a perfect right angle (pythagoras is your friend...) and place it flat against the wall about 150mm past the new wall edge. Get a tin of marker paint, pull your line taught and stick a peg in.

Do the same on the other side and you've got your trench edges - do a corner to corner measurement to make sure its all square. Measure 600mm in from your lines and thats the inside of the trench. 

If its a standard square then it should take no more than an hour O.o

30 minutes ago, PeterW said:

As long as its not complex you can do it yourself - get a square piece of OSB that is a perfect right angle (pythagoras is your friend...) and place it flat against the wall about 150mm past the new wall edge. Get a tin of marker paint, pull your line taught and stick a peg in.

Do the same on the other side and you've got your trench edges - do a corner to corner measurement to make sure its all square. Measure 600mm in from your lines and thats the inside of the trench. 

If its a standard square then it should take no more than an hour O.o

Hahahah Peter makes it sound easy :-)