Sunamp Open Day

Triassic

33 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I can't find anything on their website, so presumably it's invite-only, is it?

Surely Jeremy you will get an invite - as the chief test pilot and all that, if you are not careful people will be calling their pets after you - we, my brother and I, called a goldfish we won at a fair  in 1970 'Trubshaw' after the UK test pilot Brian Trubshaw who first flew UK Concorde  very topical then - all forgotten now.9_9

8 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Surely Jeremy you will get an invite - as the chief test pilot and all that, if you are not careful people will be calling their pets after you - we, my brother and I, called a goldfish we won at a fair  in 1970 'Trubshaw' after the UK test pilot Brian Trubshaw who first flew UK Concorde  very topical then - all forgotten now.9_9

I wouldn't go as far as to say CTP, I think that honour very definitely belongs to Evan, who had prototype stuff running in his house long before I fitted one of the early pre-production SPVs.

I'm looking forward to getting a final production standard UniQ eHW though, as looking through the installation instructions and other paperwork it looks to be a massive improvement on the SPV.  Much simpler in design, and taking out the pump, ultrasonic flow sensor etc, makes for far less to go wrong (not that my SPV's gone wrong). 

The only two issues I've had with the SPV are it's sensitivity to minute air bubbles in the water, which tend to upset the ultrasonic flow sensor, and which are, for us, a consequence of our water treatment system, which aerates the water in order to oxidise out the relatively high ferrous iron content.  This was partially fixed by installing a Spirovent, a device that uses a wire mesh to cause microbubbles to coalesce and then float up to a standard type of automatic air vent.  It's not a 100% fix, as we still very occasionally get an air bubble induced trip, but it's now a pretty rare occurrence, and I don't think it can happen at all, looking at the design of the UniQ eHW.  The other minor issue was with the over-temperature trip operating from time to time.  This was due to heat soak in the heater block after the pump and heater had shut down, being enough to cause the block to get hot enough to cause the resettable trip to operate.  I replaced the original trip, as there was a known issue with some of them, and that almost completely fixed the problem, but I never got around to changing the firmware for the later version that has a longer pump over-run time, which apparently reduces or removes the heat soak problem altogether, by keeping the pump running for a time after the heater has turned off.

I'm still incredibly pleased with the performance of the SPV, it has exceeded my expectations, for sure.  I'm still amazed that the case of the unit never feels warmer than room temperature, yet it delivers water at around 55 deg C or so on demand.  I'll be interested to see what sort of difference in performance I get from the much greater storage capacity UniQ 9 eHW.  That can realistically store around 10.5 kW, a fair bit more than the 4.5 to 5 kWh of the SPV.  The fact that the UniQ is plumbed with 22mm, rather than 15mm, pipe should make a difference too, as it means I can run all the pipe to the hot water manifold in 22mm now.

Spotted this on Twitter.

We and @OVOEnergy are working together in @innovateuk and @H2020Projects initiatives with their @VCharge technology and @SunampLtd heat batteries.

Not sure what Vcharge  is all sbout but no doubt someone will enlighten us.

Edited by Triassic

2 hours ago, Triassic said:

Spotted this on Twitter.

We and @OVOEnergy are working together in @innovateuk and @H2020Projects initiatives with their @VCharge technology and @SunampLtd heat batteries.

Not sure what Vcharge  is all sbout but no doubt someone will enlighten us.

Ooooh, watching with interest.