Long time lurker but here I am.

suniil

I've been lurking around here for past 6 months or so & finally decided to say Hello to all. It's wonderful to see so many amazing projects from the grounds to completion. 

Majority of projects here are truly inspirational, but my current circumstances don't allow to go for a self-build / refurb at least for 1-2 years. Still, I'm keeping my eyes open for a suitable plot and later sell the house to fund the cost of the build. We currently live in Wigmore (very close to Luton airport). 

Hoping to make some good friends here 

Thank you in advance.

Sunil

• Like 4

Welcome on board ! And greeting from the West coast of Scotland. Your better of having a long time to learn by all our mistakes than make them yourself..... this site is just a huge wealth of information and knowledge and one can learn so very much by reading the blogs and threads, become informed before you even start and be one step ahead of the game before it even begins ! 

Sunil, it all starts with a dream.

We must have dreamed about a self Build plot for the best part of six years before we found our plot.

In that time we probably viewed 40 potential opportunities! Including  a closed pub, a closed garden centre, a few renovation projects and a number of delapidated houses on decent plots. In the end we paid more that we really should of for a wooden bungalow on a fantastic plot.

Welcome

When I moved into this house 18 years ago many people suggested the garden was ideal for new build and I dismissed it out of hand.

Through the years people suggested it repeatedly - with ever decreasing objections from me.  8 years ago I decided to look into it and was told by the planners 'No chance'.  Put it away for 4 to 5 years.

I'm getting older, planning conditions change.  Yes it could be done.

Currently 80% finished, I'm frequently regretting it.  BUT I know I would have regretted it forever if I hadn't done it.  

More nightmares than dreams at the moment but I have done (nearly) what few people will get chance to do.  And I have (nearly) a unique and very special house.

Dream on AND enjoy the dreaming - you may or may not get chance to do it so it is very important to enjoy the dreaming

Thanks guys. 

There are so many things I learnt and discovered recently - mainly from this forum.

@Square Feet I love Scotland but my life (and home) revolved around the daughter and her education. In another year she progresses to university and next move will be based on which Conservatoire she gets a place.