RAL colours

dogman

Has anyone ordered windows matching the colour to a RAL chart.

We chose a RAL colour to match existing windows in our other house but are concerned that what will be reproduced by the window company might not be the same as on the RAL chart.

We assumed that if using RAL colours it should match exactly, but having seen the colour in a showroom( yes i have taken into account the different lighting ) the colour was totally different.

So my question is, did the colour you ordered match what was delivered?

We used RAL 7037 for our windows and doors and it was a good match for the chart. There can look to be a difference if the level of shine is different. We used what they called satin and it tied in well with other areas of the house with the same RAL colour.

You have to be very careful that the gloss levels match for a start and even then it's hit and miss. I had industrial equipment come over from NZ apparently 30% gloss. I ordered 30% gloss touch up aerosols from HMG Paints in the UK and it appeared duller on application. I went back and got 60% gloss which matched better the NZ 30%. Go figure! I just lived with it but on a house I understand how it could be a bother.

Edited by Onoff

Unfortunately you can never trust a powdercoat to match a chart. 

Powerdcoating is what is often referred to in the paint/coating industry as "bucket technology". I.e. The colours are often mixed in a bucket! One batch of a RAL powdercoat is likely to be different from the next and different manufacturers are likely to have shade variations on standard. 

As others have said sheen level also plays an important part and again unfortunately there isn't an industry standard. Furthermore most matting agents used in wet paint products can cause variation by something as simple as how well the agent was stirred. 

Even a physical sample is not going to guarantee your windows will be "exactly" as the sample but it really depends on quite how accurate you want to be. However, on Windows installed into an elevation you are going to be hard pressed to really notice.