Lean to roof

Morning everyone,

Just after a few suggestions relating to our lean to roof.

We originally had Marley eternit fibre room cement sheets shown in the plan, but we would now like some form of metal roofing. 

Our joiners mentioned that instead of lead flashing going under the main slate roof to the lean to roof we could get some form of flashing for the metal sheeting.

The roof space is about 8 meters by 2.5 meters so not a huge space but would like to put something on that pretty durable to coastal conditions.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a picture of the roof 

P1150499.thumb.JPG.7020321f80e5de1fc3d201c75413689d.JPG

That looks to be fairly straightforward and what the services would call ‘regulation’.

Metal corrugated sections ordered at the right length which will overlap one ridge. Plasticol coated in a colour of your choice following te fitting regulations. The suppliers should have all the edgings and things in the appropriate shapes.

Fall looks fine. Personally I prefer box pattern to corrugations, nice it is easier to walk on and is more tolerant of things not quite lining up to your joists.

Issues I can see

1 - You need to match the spacing of your timbers since they are already there.

2 - I am not sure how you attach it directly to your higher roof .. I am used to going into the wall. Presumably there is a profile to flash underneath.

3 - Need to think about insulation and ventilation.

4 - Are there any weather issues for That far North and the howling gales. As opposed to the Howling Gaels ?

Someone will know a supplier that way, who should have all the Details.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

Thanks guys, that very useful. 

Our joiners are putting small strips of timber on tomorrow/Friday so will know the exact size by the end of the week.

Lead is shown on the plans as dealing with the change between the slates and the lean to roof cover, but my joiner mention some kind of flashing that deals with the gap. I'll look into the custom flashings above.

Fascia and soffit were been constructed today.

The shelter is pretty good at the site. 

6 hours ago, Thedreamer said:

Thanks guys, that very useful. 

Our joiners are putting small strips of timber on tomorrow/Friday so will know the exact size by the end of the week.

Lead is shown on the plans as dealing with the change between the slates and the lean to roof cover, but my joiner mention some kind of flashing that deals with the gap. I'll look into the custom flashings above.

Fascia and soffit were been constructed today.

The shelter is pretty good at the site. 

On flashing, I have one facing into the wind on a 600ft ridge, with a fall of only 6%. I flashed into a wall using the full fat Ubiflex 300mm B3 Lead Replacement, as I had a roll. I am 7nder the red. M8nimum and I have had on3 problem a few years later with wind blown moisture, but I did poke the weather in the eye.

That is noticeably rigid though formable, and I struggled a bit due to inexperience. Now I would use the lighter one now available, B2, Also cheaper. Obvs attaching it properly and sticking down thoroughly is a detail that will determine your quality.

A suitably formed pressed piece is probably better if appropriate.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

• 3 weeks later...

We've got a lean to on our corrugated roof. Cladco are making an angled flashing to sit under the main roof 200x200mm which will lap onto the lean to. I was then planning on putting the foam closer strip between the flashing and the corrugated profiles to help seal the gap. For the sides where the lean to walls hit the main roof I'm a bit less sure. I may use lead tucked in behind our timber cladding and then dressed several valleys across the corrugated and also trim the barge boards to match the roof angle.