Look what the Architectural Technologist delivered.

I know some of you have taken a diy approach to creating diagrams for building control submission and others have splashed out many thousands for the same. I took a middling route which involved forwarding the outline architect's house design that had planning permission to an Architectural Technology (AT). The original architect was a quill & pen operator which meant my AT had to lift the design from paper into digital format.

For £1200 I got 8 diagrams with impressive detail plus some lengthy building advice telephone calls thrown in. The AT also accommodated changes such as removing a supporting wall to create an open planing sitting room, reversing the stairs and incorporating a 90 degree twist. He gave me permission to post examples of his work, here are some snippets...

RossDav1.png

Snip-2.

RossDav2.png

Snip-3.

RossDav3.png

Edited by epsilonGreedy
  • Like 1

Nice to see that level of detail; it takes time to get all the little stuff right, and nine times out of ten it's the detail that causes most of the angst in a build.  I've often felt that using an Architectural Technician was a better bet for a self-build than using an Architect.  My experience with a local AT was very positive indeed, and if he'd not decided to retire in the time between me first talking with him and our finalising the purchase of our plot (which took a year) I'd have used him for sure.

Good drawings.

Did he also have some spec notes for ventilation, waste sizes, roof, floor and wall buildups etc?

Did he do the full building regs submission?

Did he reply to any points raised from the plan check?

9 minutes ago, daiking said:

Has he supplied you with tradesmen who will work to that detail and not charge you double the going rate?

Nope ?

Reckon I am doing ok so far, will post an accounting blog entry soon.

38 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Did he also have some spec notes for ventilation, waste sizes, roof, floor and wall buildups etc?

There is a mass of specification text scattered over the diagrams, not had time to read it all yet.

40 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Did he do the full building regs submission?

No, private building control covered that function.

My building control chap returned some positive comments on the quality of the diagrams and just raised a point of clarification with me over sash windows and fire egress regs.