Worksite casters

ToughButterCup

I would like to make myself a nice little easily moveable (draggable)  workbench. One which will cope with the rough loose smallish stones that lie everywhere outside. The design of the workbench isn't my concern

I need some casters (wheels?)  that'll cope the loose bits of MoT1. 

Ideas?

I agree. Years ago I scrounged a 4 wheel sack truck that had been used to transport mail bags and built a bench and storage lockers on top of it.  That worked really well.  I did it to move tools and instrumentation around Falmouth Docks, but it would have coped quite well with a building site.  The wheels were the ones that take 260 x 85 inflatable tyres, which seem to be a common size.

Somewhere I've seen a sack truck that had two extra wheels so it could be used horizontally - I'll try and see if I can find out where, as that might be an easy way to make the base.

One of these might make a good starting point: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DUTY-GARDEN-TROLLEY-CART-4-WHEEL-BARROW-QUAD-TRAILER-LARGE-WITH-LINING-NEW/322626206008?epid=1358179427&hash=item4b1e053938:g:MI4AAOSwPM9Zfyyb

Make up a stout box to fit snugly inside and you could have a combination trolley for shifting stuff around and a movable workbench, just by lifting the bench/box in and out.

Edited by JSHarris
Added info

12 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

[...]

I scrounged a 4 wheel sack truck

[...]

Somewhere I've seen a sack truck that had two extra wheels so it could be used horizontally - I'll try and see if I can find out where, as that might be an easy way to make the base.

One of these might make a good starting point: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DUTY-GARDEN-TROLLEY-CART-4-WHEEL-BARROW-QUAD-TRAILER-LARGE-WITH-LINING-NEW/322626206008?epid=1358179427&hash=item4b1e053938:g:MI4AAOSwPM9Zfyyb

[...]

Excellentel Tennente!

17 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

[...]

What are you planning to use it for?

General quick-fixit stuff. Vice, light, extension, base for a worksite saw, storage for the Bosch beat box, somewhere to hit summat on

6 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

What about 2 wheelbarrow wheels on one side and 2 slots on the opp side where you can put in 2 bars/timber [...]

Got me thinking....

@recoveringacademic

Not sure if it is exactly what you want but useful to know about, IKEA do some mobile wooden kitchen trolley/islands, which might be suitable for this with the same different wheels or for smoother areas as they are. 

There is the BEKVAM at 58x50cm at £35. The height is 85cm and the wheels have brakes, and there are a couple of shelves underrneath.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/kitchen-products/kitchen-islands-trolleys/bekväm-kitchen-trolley-birch-art-30240348/

And the FORHOJA  

At 1m x 43cm x 90cm high, which has 2 drawers, at £80. No wheel brakes on this one.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/kitchen-products/kitchen-islands-trolleys/förhöja-kitchen-trolley-birch-art-80035920/

I have had one in my kitchen for about a decade. Very sturdy.

Wheels are about 75mm beneath 2 legs, but 250mm wheels would fit nicely into the side of the legs and keep it level by drilling one hole each.

Much less work than your other options if suitable.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
For accuracy

9 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

[...]

Not sure if it is exactly what you want but useful to know about, IKEA do some mobile wooden kitchen trolley/islands, which might be suitable for this with the same different wheels or for smoother areas as they are.

[...]

Why didn't I think of that now.......?

Fanks.

Ian

8 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Why didn't I think of that now.......?

Fanks.

Ian

just noticed ... I think the smaller one as it comes is sized to exactly fit the hole where a washer or fridge would go under a standard height worktop. So if you have those in your workshop...

On the same subject, these wheelbarrows I posted in discounts a couple of weeks ago may still be available at £10 each ie less than what I think is the usual cost of a new wheel if you are pursuing that option. Bodies could make quite good eg mint-restrictors or garden thingamajigs or more mixing wotsits. 

65l mental barrows ... quite light ... with pneumatic tyres that are bicycle-pumpable.