Building Control challenge.

Hi.

I am just going through the work of getting started on our build, cleared the garden with the digger last week. Job one is build the garden room, which will have water, electricity and a sewer run, to occupy while the main build goes through. I guess I am just trying to avoid two lots of building control, its all in one planning permission, but I am not sure if I can submit the full details for the garden room and outline for the main build as the detailed specification and structural work for the main house is not yet complete, and probably won't be until November. On the form it looks like it has all to be there -  any thoughts on best way through or is two lots of BC going to be required.

Mike

A garden outbuilding under 30 square metres does not need building regulations (that's the situation in Scotland, check it's the same in England)

Another "get out" is if it's a portable building (e.g shed or caravan) then you can build up to nearly 100 square metres without building regulations.

Strictly speaking, in both cases a drain connection does need building regs, that is all. Could you make a "temporary" drain connection and then regularise that as part of your building control when you start the house I wonder?

On our build we stated both home and garage in the application to BC, however we submitted the house detail initially then the garage a few months later. The inspector did not query this.

Build and inspections on both were aligned apart from the garage slab which started after main house slab was complete.