A bewildering choice of shower heads

Now that I've got dates for the superstructure of the house going up, I'm starting to give thought to the bathrooms and I've been looking at showers and shower heads.  Lots of them.  Too many of them.

The principles of the different types, rainfall, wall mounted, those sideways spraying thingies, is easy, but how on earth do you choose?  They vary wildly in price, too.  Do you really get an extra £2k performance out of a shower head that costs £2k more than another?  If so, what is this extra performance?  Or does in all just boil down to aesthetics in the end?

Are there any absolutely spanking bathroom showrooms along the south coast that anyone knows of and think are worth a visit?

How did others choose their bathrooms? Heeeeeelp!

1 minute ago, vivienz said:

£2k performance out of a shower head that costs £2k more than another

Is that a typo..???!!! I've never seen a £2k shower head !!! 

Go for Grohe, HansGrohe or one of the big names and you won't go far wrong.

May be cheaper to get some flights to Dusseldorf and make a day trip of going to MegaBad and their showroom - seriously considered it as a pair of flights and car hire for the day was about £125..!

What flow rate can you get from your hot water system? No point in having a rain type 40L/min head if you can only get half that from your supply.

We have a diverter on our mixer that can switch the output to either 1) an 8" overhead old fashioned rose or 2) a hand held "telephone" style rose. The overhead rose is all metal has a great flow rate to get soap out of your hair.  The hand held has great pressure and a decent flow rate. So we know we can get pretty much any combination of flow or pressure from our mixer depending on the rose.

Recently I've had requests from family to replace the overhead with something more like the hand held. I've tried three so called high flow rate plastic heads off Amazon and elsewhere but none have been any good. I've taken two apart and they all have narrow channels moulded in. Especially if they have any kind of ball joint to allow it to swivel.

So next I plan to try a smaller all metal fixed head rose, perhaps something like this 5" rather than the 8" we have. 

https://www.just-perrin.co.uk/5206-perrin--rowe-5-130mm-shower-rose-2524-p.asp

Guest Alphonsox
23 minutes ago, Alphonsox said:

We bought all our stuff from Megabad - although the exchange rate was better then it still seems cheaper.

That particular model is 1588 euro rather than the £1575 the UK company wants.

https://www.megabad.com/hersteller-hansgrohe-brausenprogramm-kopfbrausen-premium-linie-a-326799.htm

Actually mission control tells me we got all our stuff from reuter.de. (My memory fails me yet again!). The have an English website so are a little easier to deal with. Prices were pretty much the same when we bought.

For what it's worth we ended up getting a Grohe Euphoria for our en-suite. ( and its currently 20euro cheaper).

https://en.reuter.de/grohe-euphoria-wall-mounted-shower-system-with-shower-arm-450-mm-a311346.php

Interestingly £240 on amazon uk, which wasn't an option when we bought.

I got all mine from Porcelanosa, fab stuff but very pricey buy it in the 40% off sale pay 50% deposit and they will keep it in their warehouse until you need it.  Check your water pressure/flow for shower head as someone else said. I have a 300 square rainfall head and a hand held in my wet room.  I'm running that from incoming 6 bar pressure and I get a really great shower.

image.thumb.png.8ce5ea141adb95b5410cafba5d1d8246.png

• Like 1