Help with kitchen renovation/ 1st house.

Yes this is the best side.. but Tbh none of the battens are proper straight.. Id have been there all day choosing to get all six 4ft8'' straight.

Its outdoor/ treated stuff.. is that right? I asked for roof battens & this is what TP showed me, stored outside.

Ok thats good- I'm sure I can do or get s'one to do the socket boxes rejig ok. I'm really most worried about the battens.. if I press this one in the middle, in against the wall, its quite a bow & pressure on any middle screw- but if I were to leave & pack it out I'd be losing another 1/4-1/2" of space into the room. godammit.

can BP 'bend' a bit to accomodate such a bow? the edge not being straight is going to cause headaches cutting it to follow the 'bow' on the side too. jeepers this is scary.

Just now, Onoff said:

Over that length you should be able to fix say at the top and bend the batten to a drawn vertical line before fixing.

Or screw back to the wall and not worry too much as otherwise you’ll create more issues with gaps behind the insulation.... ?

I wouldn’t be worrying about this sort of thing - flat back to the wall and fill gaps with Easyfill. Start to “square up” rooms that aren’t and you’ll be there for weeks ....

12 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Over that length you should be able to fix say at the top and bend the batten to a drawn vertical line before fixing.

Ok that's what I've done for verticals/ 1st I put a horizonatal rail along btm... I thought of mice?! then 2 vertical battens on so far: all fixed at 4 points (2.4m H battens): ie they in midd area bow/ follow the contour of the (concave) walls by 1.5cm at mid area. I just couldn't face 'straightening up' the battens relative to the wall packed out with xyz.. Id have been on them for a week. They look ok. There's a gap between btm LHS of no.1 to the wall of ~2cm tho.

is this ok? I'm stuck at batten no.3 due to the window approaching.. if I put no3 at 40cm, then no4 will only be 1/4" apart from it as this will be edge of the window sill side edge.

Can you remind me why 40cm? tried to find but couldn't in replies.. & should I miss out one as it were & go 46cm??

29 minutes ago, Onoff said:

no3 vertical is resting: as you can see it'll be only 1/4" away from no4 though, if this goes flush with sill edge..

008.JPG

400mm - pb comes in 1200mm wide panels. Abutting boards need to join on the centre of a batten. Except at the corner:

20180719_153212.jpg

It's that "out"...I have no solution as I packed as required and squared off. One of my walls I think was 75mm out. I'd be bringing the bottom batten out. Find the bit of the wall through bows out the most. That's point "zero", no packing. 

So do I put my next batten at 46cm?? this side of the window is 90cm wide, so effectively can be spanned by only 3 battens.

You see I'm still not sure why the figure 40cm (apart from it being 120cm divided by 3). Is it for 'structural rigidity' of the PB attatchment & -has- to be therefore 40cm?? or can it be 46cm with no ill effects.

Therefore, I'm not sure where to put this 3rd vertical batten. which you can see is only resting at 'noprmal' 40cm mark. If I put it here, then the next one is almost bang next to it with only a 1/4" gap between the two. Surely impossible to fill.. or is this the right way to go? (& fill with a sliver of C'tex.. or even foam?? seems a silly gap).

Are you understanding what I'm saying I wonder?

Edited by zoothorn

Go B. The pir will just get cut a bit wider there. Think now where your 1200mm panel will start from the lhs. You'll need a batten above & below the window so that 1200 wide panel finishes exactly on the centre line of the batten.

What size are this battens...30mm thick?

Onoff.. I dont know what pir is, insulation stuff/ C'tex?

But my area of wall, to the left of the window, is 90cm wide. So am I not going to cut it at 90cm at the edge of the vertical window line then?? Im not understanding when you say I need it to go full 120cm.. as it'll cover the window as it were. I can't cut PB in a L shape surely..

I'm not on board quite yet, my apologies. I need sleep before I continue/ no3 batten is really doing my noggin in.

Onoff I'm not understanding anything now. I dont know what a CAD is. I need sleep.

Was this diagram the one you did before, for your kids b'room.. or did you sketch this up of the plan of my room? I'm trying to look for your kids b'room.. but I can't find anything/ a link?? Im so confused.

CAD - Computer Aided Design...drawing on a computer rather than a fag packet sketch!  

Look at page 6 of this thread. Exactly the same as your area except mirrored. Battens up to the window and top and bottom over the window. A full sheet of pb cut in a backward C shape. The 1200 width goes from the corner and finishes halfway over the vertical batten top and bottom of the window. Are you lining the window reveal like I did with insulated pb?

Hi onoff.. yup been looking back over your useful pics. Done no3 @ 46cm, & no4 @ 120cm from no1. I had thought to line the window reveal with PB onto inside & batten edge.. as I can't see how the PIR would fix the the inside back of the reveal side.. its too complicated to explain where I mean let alone do it!

So having done as below, is the idea now to go from the other side (far RHS of wall) 'backwards' to the RHS of the window?? then fill the middle small uprights above & below?

Im away all day but continuing 5PM & over w'end. [The "////" batten is just resting ie to show what I plan to do here (horizontal midpoint is the UNITS' fixing height you see)].

Much appreciated.. I'm slowly getting there, maybe?

001.JPG

Edited by zoothorn

@Onoff does the 1200 measurement start right in the corner of the room and then end in the middle of the batten @ 1200? Couldn't work out from reading whether it was centre batten to centre batten or you started at the far edge of the first batten so there was no gap. Me being thick clearly :)