L1A or L1B - who decides..?

PeterW

I'm ploughing through the final bits for submission of BRegs and I've come across an interesting query....

The build being undertaken is listed as a Conversion and Extension on the planning application, and is effectively the conversion of a large 28sqm footprint double garage, and adding on two extensions of around 30sqm and 45sqm respectively.

As its listed as a conversion, and to all intents and purposes the walls will remain from the old garage (it was built for the purpose of conversion in 1992) then its questionable as to whether it needs to follow L1B or L1A. If I read the terms in L1A then the creation of the house from the garage constitutes a material change of use as per the definition.MCoU.JPG

If that is the case, I assuming all of the DER, TER, SAP and Pressure testing goes out of the window and basically I'm on best endeavours in relation to meeting the regs on an elemental method..??

Does that sound reasonable or have I missed something..??!!

Looks to me as if L1B applies for sure.  The key is that planning have listed it as a conversion, not a new dwelling, and this then triggers L1B rather than L1A as the applicable energy use standard.

Not sure about not needing SAP, though, as isn't there a gotcha when it comes to needing an EPC for a dwelling?  This conversion is from a building that was not a dwelling to one that is, so I have a sneaky suspicion that it still needs an EPC to be lodged.

The best idea would be to ask the BCO, as they must be familiar with this from other conversions. 

If it's conversion then simple elemental U-values, heating efficiencies etc in Part L1B. No need for DER/TER or DFEE/TFEE or pressure testing but SAP calc is required to generate the EPC on completion. Must be done by on construction energy assessor using full SAP (as its a Reg requirement) rather than RDSAP.

Ian

Edited by ADLIan
L1B not L2B!

My experience has been that, for a Conversion, a Design SAP is not required, and although an as built SAP is also not required to be submitted to BC, it is required to generate the EPC.

Thanks All ..!

It confirmed my thoughts - I am slightly reluctant to ask anything of BCO currently as I've ended up deciding to swap from one to another due to a lot of "advice" I was getting seemed to be along the lines of "you could do this but I would possibly not accept it...."

I've just been pleasantly surprised by the the local council BRegs charges though - £522 vs the £900 from Buildzone..! May give them a call tomorrow and see how receptive they are to a few queries. 

Out of interest, what is a reasonable charge for the as built SAP with no tests etc ..? Assume it's a paper exercise ..??

14 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Out of interest, what is a reasonable charge for the as built SAP with no tests etc ..? Assume it's a paper exercise ..??

I did my own design and as-built SAP calcs, the design calcs were accepted by building control having been done by me, there doesn't seem to be a requirement to use an assessor at this stage, AFAICS.  The as-built calcs were given to an assessor to lodge for me, as this isn't something you can DIY.  He charged me £100 + VAT to check my FSAP file and lodge the EPC etc.  Frankly I'm not convinced that was great value, as he didn't change a thing on the FSAP file, accept add his assessor number and name and lodge it, but "rules is rules".  I'd like to see a way for people to submit their own SAP calcs if they wish, as it would be nice to have a choice.

Having said a Design SAP is not required for a Conversion, I did actually do one, but for the purposes of RHI.

I paid £175 for the Design SAP which included several iterations and will pay an extra £30 for the update to as-built and the filing of the EPC.

I used Pebble Energy