pcm at point of use

mvincentd

Not come across them before. They seem to provide a last leg buffer using PCM to minimize the initial cold water out of the shower. I guess it depends how long your hot water run is and if you're using twigs or branches vs a pumped hot water circuit? I've been looking at heat recovery units that provide heat reclamation for the currently running shower. Nice alternative though.....

Excerpt. 

- Capacity to warm up 15 litres of water from 20oC to 37oC immediately after a shower (if fully charged);

- Capacity to warm up 10 litres of water from 20oC to 37oC after 24 hours since the last bath (if fully charged);

- Time until full charged: 6 minutes (inlet temperature 55oC and hot water inlet flow rate 7 liters/min); 

Not exactly mind-blowing figures, especially the one where it requires 6 minutes input at 55oC. 

The wording is terrible and the statistical info isn't presented very well, so I think we'd need much more clarity before a fair critique could be complied. The vacuum insulated panel construction makes it sound expensive to produce, so cost vs return may be questionable particularly when there is such a short yield ( 15 litres from a fully charged unit :/ ).  

After a shower, or after a bath ? Bloody confusing is what it is. 

It’s the English translated version of a Portuguese website, apparently a kickstarter funded product originally.....haven’t found any pricing or if they meet any uk regs that are relevant to it. If sensibly priced though, a decent idea I thought.

32 minutes ago, mvincentd said:

It’s the English translated version of a Portuguese website, apparently a kickstarter funded product originally.....haven’t found any pricing or if they meet any uk regs that are relevant to it. If sensibly priced though, a decent idea I thought.

Any idea on RRP? 

Guest Alphonsox
7 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Any idea on RRP? 

RRP is 699 Euro according to the Kickstarter page

I translated this comment from someone posting on their Facebook page.......oh well!

The investment does not pay itself in the lifetime of the users. Waste of time and money, do the math. Let's start with the simplest ones: 9 Liters of loss per bath = 0.005 € (considering an average tariff of 0.56 € / m3 (with VAT at 6%) and not taking into account the increase in average annual inflation figures). Launch price = € 330 = 66000 baths 66000 baths, considering one per day (365) = 180 years 180 years old, even if the family was made up of 4 elements, everyone took a shower every day, it would take 45 years to pay the € 330 of the initial investment at launch price. Now think about how many baths would be needed to pay the investment at the market price close to € 700 ?! As no regular household remains cohesive for 45 years (parents and children) and the equipment itself will degrade long before reaching this level, it is considered to be useless and dysfunctional equipment. Water saving could be a good reason for the acquisition, but other methods of discipline can be taken with greater gains for the environment, economy and people, without having to spend a single €. The very ecological footprint of the production and distribution of this equipment removes any merit in relation to the supposed function. Final calculation according to the title of the article: "Hoterway: hot water from the first second, or how to save MIL liters per year", which is the same as saying, save € 0.56 per year (1000L = 1m3), based on this information makes even worse the initial calculations that even being very optimistic, since it now takes 147 years to pay the € 330 investment, this in a family of 4 elements, each having the average life expectancy of 76 years and canceling the variable disintegration of the family after the emancipation of the younger members. In short, a lousy investment for either party, unless it's to be a long-term investment up to the 8th generation.

Guest Alphonsox

You're right in that this isn't going to have any payback in terms of water saving, but that is not what is being claimed. The claim here is one of comfort (immediate hot water) without the energy loss/cost of a recirculating pump system.