2 minutes ago, Simplysimon said:

hi all,

was in maplin for a  connector and saw cat 5 cable for sale. there were different ones, does it matter which one i buy and are they interconnectable? 100m for £30 a good buy?

cheers

As usual with Maplin....hideously expensive. 

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAT5E-OR-CAT6-305M-INDOOR-OUTDOOR-Gigabit-Networking-Ethernet-Cable-EXTRA-THICK/263417886388?hash=item3d54edf6b4:m:me9LaNBPxDwkq4X86e886gQ

11 hours ago, dpmiller said:

CCA

DAMMMMNNNNIIIIITTTTT :D

Solid in the title....then goes on to say solid CCA. Why can't these assholes just say what it is? Type in haste, repent etc etc.

9 hours ago, PeterW said:

Yep if you want solid copper then this is what you want 

Cat5E

305m Box Reel MATRIX Cat5e 4 Pair UTP PVC Purple LSZH 24awg PURE SOLID COPPER..

Thats more like it 9_9

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

And +1. Ready for PoE then too. 

You can do proper ie 48v PoE over standard Cat5 to about 100m if it’s Copper not CCA. Doesn’t need to be Cat6 for that. 

And if you’ve got 100m PoE links running, you can probably afford Cat6 anyway as it’s a big pad..!!! 

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Some sellers seem a bit crafty saying solid copper "over spline" for strength. The spline being plastic I think. 

Thats the new Cat6 spec - it’s a cross shaped nylon spine that separates the 4 pairs of cores. Makes it more rigid too but needs more time to terminate it as you have the spine to cut out carefully. 

and solid means "not stranded" eg installation cable rather than flexible for patchleads.

I can't see me going for anything other than cat5e personally. If it happily carries 100Mb over 100m+ around garages with welders and grinders etc going (that's our normal installs...) it'll be good enough for my domestic use.

Just now, dpmiller said:

and solid means "not stranded" eg installation cable rather than flexible for patchleads.

I can't see me going for anything other than cat5e personally. If it happily carries 100Mb over 100m+ around garages with welders and grinders etc going (that's our normal installs...) it'll be good enough for my domestic use.

You'd never say im ex comms would you :S Surprising how quickly you forget the terminology. TBH back then 15+ years ago it was cat 5e or nowt.