3D Printer

Onoff

As it's my birthday coming up I was thinking of treating myself to a small 3D printer. I can 3D model in AutoCAD so figure that side of it can't be difficult.

Can they really be so cheap? Seeing them at the £99 mark! I was hoping for something sub £200 like this maybe, was tempted but I know nothing about what's good and what's not:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CTC-Black-3D-Printer-Dual-Extruder-MK8-Factory-Direct-Lowest-Price-PLA/331733282128?hash=item4d3cd82d50:g:RgIAAOSwdGFYovd9

At a push maybe this:

https://www.clasohlson.com/uk/FlashForge-Finder-3D-Printer/38-7720

Cheers

i have that one...well another version...its a right pain to use... i actually got the UP after which was much easier. The problem is levelling the floor and every thing else. I would not bother with duel extrusion unless you have a lot of spare time. If you want to take up 3d printing as a hobby then got for it..but if you want to just print a few things i would recommend the online professionals. results are in whole new ball game. 

ryan

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Just watching a thing on tissue engineering where they were 3D printing ears. 

Fascinating - especially (prior to the printing bit) when they vacuumed extracted onto cartilage and  child suddenly had a perfectly normal looking ear

I had a bit of an email exchange with Prof Alex Seifalian a while back when I had some ideas on using cell proteins as bio inks for 3D printing scaleable organ scaffolds etc rather than re-seeding cadaver parts. 

(The US researchers I contacted were a bit more aloof).

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/science/2016/dec/12/leading-uk-university-launches-inquiry-into-links-with-work-of-controversial-surgeon-paolo-macchiarini

More to the point I'm booking SWMBO in for some pointy ears! 

tpol06.thumb.jpg.fb0cb0d36750a98ba870a24f0336858c.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Temp said:

Someone told me they are now able to 3D print parts for use on F1 cars directly. Anyone seen more info?

Remember Massa going upside down spectacularly in his Williams (I guess 3 or so years ago)....the roll hoop was 3d.

On 02/05/2018 at 19:31, Onoff said:

More to the point I'm booking SWMBO in for some pointy ears! 

Just the ears?

On 02/05/2018 at 20:42, mvincentd said:

Remember Massa going upside down spectacularly in his Williams (I guess 3 or so years ago)....the roll hoop was 3d.

Brundel's Jordan wasn't

Edited by SteamyTea