Temporary handrail options

jamiehamy

Hi all, 

Before I knock something spectacularly crude and ugly up to get us a temporary Habitation certificate, I thought I'd see what the brains here think about building a temporary handrail. Eventually we will get something bespoke made which will bolt into the steps but I need something to get us approval from BC. 

It's got to be cheap, safe but wondering if there are any cleverer ways of making it look presentable until the end of summer? It will be exposed to winds from the right so something that'll let the wind go through. As I say, I could probably make something from 2x2 but there must be other good options my brain isn't seeing  right now.  Thanks! Jamie

DSC_3548.JPG

1 hour ago, jamiehamy said:

[...]

I thought I'd see what the [...] here think about building a temporary handrail.

[...]

It's got to be cheap, safe but wondering if there are any cleverer ways of making it look presentable until the end of summer?

[...]

Scaffolding, with buried HERAS (rubber block) feet, scaff clips and effort.

The key word is temporary isn't it? I'm assuming the end in mind is the Habitation Cert; pretty, nice later.

Bury (fairly deep) HERAS feet at suitable intervals (second-hand £5 each) , and slot the standards in the central hole of each HERAS foot.  Backfill the hole: no need to use concrete. Clip the ledger (handrail) as appropriate. You might well need brace the standards.

That way, everything can be made to disappear (Kerpow!) later.

• Thanks 1