The larch house

James H

To introduce my self, I was a member of ebuild before it closed and only found you last week.

We have built our own home quite modest, with joinery workshop next to it. The planning was very difficult to get as it was considered as part of a field, although we have modern barns on both sides.

We had to use a consultant (expensive but worth it) to get permission to build.

The plot is 1km from where we used to live and I did not want to move a long way away because of my clients in the area.

Permission for a double modular unit was given, so that gave use our rectangular shape bungalow 110m2.  All the drawings were done by me and almost all of the construction with a help from a joiner friend (paid).

I went for SIP construction several reasons, every thing is done and designed around my partner and I, so that it is easy to live in with our life style, (typing this I am looking out onto a snow covered hill with a line of beach trees going up it). Every thing as simple as possible.

The U values are not bad I think  External walls 0.1   Floor 0.11   Roof 0.11   Openings  1.38    Air tightness 0.71

Windows and doors upvc off the internet but well installed. Ventilated by a MVHR and heated with one 2kw electric panel heater (with thermostat). Hot water with an on demand LPG water heater.

We moved in mid December, and hope to finish off to get the completion cert. in a few months, but now I am back at work.

The house is great and all the time we spent deciding how it should be, are working out well. The layout would not suit every one and this house is for ever now.

I found our local building inspector very helpful, and is just a phone call away. I will try and up load some photos, they always give a much better idea.  

My only concern is electric consumption, being all electric but we are very comfortable here (unlike our old rented house very damp never warm every where and drafty). Will probably get solar panels if we get all our VAT back.

Sorry to go on so much, I have a lot more I could say but not now.

Welcome aboard.

You could do a blog type post detailing the choices you made and why you made them. Might help other people who could be going through a similar process.

Pics also help!! Not like we're all really nosey but you know we  are a bit. Am sure like everyone else there is a SD card somewhere jammed pack with a collection of photos.

Solar PV will definitely help getting that electric bill down. Here in the sun trap that is Northern Ireland my 4kw system covers nearly all my electric bill. Will obviously depend on where you are and what tariff you can avail of.