Gas shortage

Just a heads up as I can se this far enough. Last week I was unable to fill my car with LPG anywhere in Glasgow or Ayrshire. Lady as Asda told me there was a shortage, but Asda head office acted the goat and said there was no issue. Flogas - 'no comment'. Calor - no issue. 

However, an LPG forum I'm on has users across the counrty reporting the same. 

I was in Topps Tiles earlier in the week and the girl there told me that they needed oil for heating and normally they phone in the morning and it comes down from the depot in the afternoon - they've been told it'll be a few days at least and they can't get their full order. Anyway, smelling a rat, I contacted the Glasgow Herald, BBC and the Daily Fail - none reported it back then. 

And guess what? There is a shortage and only now is it coming out. Any forum members using gas cans, might be worth trying to get ahead of the curve and get fresh ones asap before supply is restricted. Possible perfect storm of weather, politics and bad planning...it amazes me - if petrol or diesel ran out at the pumps the media would be all over it. Jsut because it's gas for cars, it's not hard to see that it's a big problem if you just look a bit wider as to what that means. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43229297 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/temporary-relaxation-of-the-enforcement-of-drivers-hours-and-working-time-rules-delivery-of-lpg/extension-to-temporary-relaxation-of-the-enforcement-of-drivers-hours-and-working-time-rules-delivery-of-lpg

1 hour ago, jamiehamy said:

nyway, smelling a rat, I contacted the Glasgow Herald, BBC and the Daily Fail - none reported it back then

What would you expect of any of these outlets * I'm being kind here* to do the fcuk about any of it? Investigative journalism has almost died in the mainstream media, not extinct completely but the titles you quote are unimpressive to put it mildly...

Edited by Tennentslager
Typo
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tennentslager said:

What would you expect of any of these outlets * I'm being kind here* to do the fcuk about any of it? Investigative journalism has almost died in the mainstream media, not extinct completely but the titles you quote are unimpressive to put it mildly...

I know I know. A lazy shower the load of them!

@jamiehamy, I've plans somewhere for a couple of DIY biogas plants. Feedstock for it can be varied but think they reckon 50/50 "green to brown" as in waste veg matter ratio to the yucky stuff from whatever source! Needs the sulphur taken out from memory to run an ICE but will burn good for other purposes.

6 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I've plans somewhere for a couple of DIY biogas plants

There was a guy over at the other place that paid around £50,000 for a home AD system.

It never worked, but having met the two guys that designed and installed it, I was not surprised.

A mate of mine was working in the AD industry and said that feedstock was crucial, theirs can from a creamy, which has a high calorific value.  It hardly worked for a week without some problems or other.

Running temperatures are important too.

48 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

There was a guy over at the other place that paid around £50,000 for a home AD system.

It never worked, but having met the two guys that designed and installed it, I was not surprised.

A mate of mine was working in the AD industry and said that feedstock was crucial, theirs can from a creamy, which has a high calorific value.  It hardly worked for a week without some problems or other.

Running temperatures are important too.

I've always thought a South facing, sloping site would be good. Could put a bfo solar thermal panel at the lowest point to heat the feedstock tank above by thermosyphoning.

I think I might play with compost this year.! :)

It really is not worth it in my opinion.

You can do a rough estimate.  Dry a turd, find its mass and then assume it is as good as wood, calculate the kWh.

More fun would be to make a Bomb Calorimeter, basically a bucket filled with the richard and oxygen.  Then measure the temperature increase.

May end up with something like this: