Conversion on the cards

Robjones

Hi everyone. I'm at an extremely early stage in our plans for converting our small Scottish Steading (barn), but what I do know is that it will mostly be a self build job apart from Windows and roof. The structure is sound and we have the first meeting with the architect on Wednesday (snow permitting!)

I'm certainly glad I found this forum but I did notice only 1 post in the barn conversion section which surprised me. Am I in the right place, or is there a more relevant forum out there?

Thanks, and I look forward to sharing my experiences along the long road ahead. And yes, perhaps asking for a little advice too ?

• Like 1

There'll be 2 now :D

Hi and welcome. Please use the tags at the top of the first post to add search info and folk will find it easier to get to your content. Search under timber frame for some of the conversion stuff, but under barn conversions is a good place to put things if its a barn conversion ! 

Enjoy, and read....a lot ;)

• Like 1

I've never posted anything about mine in the Barn Conversion section as the stuff I've posted about hasn't been  unique to a Barn Conversion and I can't think of much that would be.

You're in the right place and I'm not aware of a more relevant forum.

Welcome.

• Like 1

Welcome.

One trick is to define a unique tag for your project ... make it the same as part of your blog title if you do a blog ... and attach that to all your threads on the project, then you can ask in the section and people can still find the whole body of material on the project.

I started doing this a few months ago with Little Brown Bungalow.

But it is better if you leave the spaces out to make it easier to make the tags identical.

You can go back and add them later eg when you go back to the thread and post later summarising the outcome, but it is better to start at the very beginning.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

Hi Rob,

Welcome

May I ask where about in Aberdeen(shire) you are converting?

I'm extremely interested as I have a small steading to convert myself, as soon as I complete (and I've only just started) my build

I'm up north or Ellon, near Ythanbank

• Like 1

Thank you all for the replies, advice and friendly welcome. Much appreciated and I now feel I'm not alone!

Tin Soldier, wow, what a small world. I'm about 10 miles away near Clola, Longside. So maybe we can help each other!

• Like 1

I guess I should start a project thread and I'll post up some pictures of the raw product before things get serious. But first is the feasibility meeting with the architect tomorrow. Presuming he gets out to us!

Snowbeetle, you should share your experiences ... you're are a lot further along than I am ?