MCB remote control/programmable?

You can buy DIN rail SSRs that would work in this instance that allow you to keep your 5V above the rail and the 220V below. 

I’ve got a link somewhere to some DIN rail dimmers that work off a 5v signal from memory too.  

I have a few SSRs controlling things, and they will happily work with a 5V signal direct from a microcontroller pin.  My home made excess PV diverter uses a 25 A SSR driven like this and has been working faultlessly for a couple of years or so.   The only slight snag with the DIN rail SSRs is that the high current ones have a pretty big heat sink as a part of the mount.

I have a spare DIN rail dimmer that accepts an isolated DC control voltage, too.  They are quite expensive, though.  The one I have here is a Carlo Gavazzi, rated at around 20 A, IIRC, that accepts an analogue control voltage and has selectable operating modes, semi-random burst control, phase control etc.  I was originally going to use it as the control for my excess PV diverter, but then decided to use the "energy bucket" method, which only needs a standard SSR and TTL level control.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, readiescards said:

The MCB  with a signal option would be a simple pop in solution if it exists. I've used SSR and relays elsewhere but not as neat

You can get standard DIN contactors that have DC coils.  I have a few that use 230 VAC coils, but the data sheet shows that these are available with 12 V or 24 V coils.  Doesn't meet your 5 V control requirement, but they do fit in a stepped DIN consumer unit style housing and almost replace an MCB, but are a bit wider.  I'm using them in my garage CU for the emergency stop buttons.  The two 20 A protected socket radials are each DP switched by a single 4 pole 25 A contactor and that contactor is powered through a low current circuit that contains the normally closed emergency stop buttons in series.  If any of the buttons is pressed it opens the contactor and kills the power to the workshop sockets, leaving the lighting circuit and the door circuit still powered via separate MCBs.

• Like 1

You CAN certainly get remote activated breakers but I think they're more for an industrial setting. I will very likely see the Schneider technician at work this week so will ask him. They do a Reflex range.

ABB and Eaton I think do similar. As for control I THINK it is maybe RS-485 or some sort of bus control.

A bit beyond my red wire live / black wire neutral mindset tbh! :)

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

After a 7 hour drive and therefore time to think i reckon a SSR in my utility attic where I can pickup the lighting circuit after the MCB is probably a better, cheaper and safer idea after all. So cheers all for suggestions and helping me rethink the solution.

On 18/02/2018 at 09:20, JSHarris said:

I have a few SSRs controlling things, and they will happily work with a 5V signal direct from a microcontroller pin.  My home made excess PV diverter uses a 25 A SSR driven like this and has been working faultlessly for a couple of years or so.   The only slight snag with the DIN rail SSRs is that the high current ones have a pretty big heat sink as a part of the mount.

I have a spare DIN rail dimmer that accepts an isolated DC control voltage, too.  They are quite expensive, though.  The one I have here is a Carlo Gavazzi, rated at around 20 A, IIRC, that accepts an analogue control voltage and has selectable operating modes, semi-random burst control, phase control etc.  I was originally going to use it as the control for my excess PV diverter, but then decided to use the "energy bucket" method, which only needs a standard SSR and TTL level control.

Been using CG stuff for 30 years. Phase failure relays, phase angle relays, Dupeline etc and going back far enough their F System.

As I found out recently if you want anything obsolete from Carlo they can still possibly make it for you but with an 8 week lead time. I think part of that was due to Italian holidays. Always very helpful and communicative tbh.

eBay saved the day in my instance with a NOS item from Down Under as the client couldn't wait.