Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi All, now that the house is done and we have been in 8 months (very nice, thank you) I have turned my attention to something much simpler - a carport. 

 

Broadly what I am looking to do is a 5.25 x 5.75m carport with two open sides, oak post in each corner and a shallow (8.7deg) mono-pitch roof in single ply  membrane or Greencoat on a ply deck, to look like standing seam zinc, echoing the zinc roof on the main house.  

 

We have planning for that as a freestanding structure next to an existing timber workshop but have now put in a new planning app to integrate the roof with the workshop roof, for aesthetics.  But fundamentally the carport needs to be its own structure.  We don't need Building Regs as <30m2 area.

 

Some sketches attached but the question I have now have is how to design and size the posts, beams and rafters to cover the span safely and deal with wind loadings etc?  I am currently thinking a glulam lintel across the 5.25m front opening and open web joists from front to back (5.8m) with the back supported on a timber stud wall and suitable wall plates.  Or possibly a second glulam spanning the opening midway to act as a purlin and then smaller solid rafters from front to middle and then again from middle to back.

  • Pay a SE to do the calcs, and if so what do I need to provide?
  • Approach a rafter/glulam company with the design constraints and ask them to design and cost it for me?

 

I am very conscious that whatever I build will need to be very well tied down to the pre-existing 6m x 5.5m x 150mm reinforced concrete slab, which I assume is going to be enough to stop it all taking off in a gale.

 

Here are some pics, and thanks for your help!

 

Views of the proposed carport (existing workshop not shown but abuts the west side of carport)

Elevations.thumb.png.563e3c5e1c05d349200ad271e380be5a.png

 

Floor plan (not that there's much to see - confusingly West is to the top of this plan(!))

Floorplanextract.thumb.png.b8772230fedbe757e55662f720adf4c8.png

 

Extract of block plan showing the newly proposed integrated roof (North to the top).

Blockplanextract.thumb.png.780e6cca046112a709e1e6d4333ad93b.png

 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...