Super_Paulie Posted 14 hours ago Posted 14 hours ago Anyone got any tips on attaching the individual door stops to the linings? I've got the doors hung, the linings are all filled and sanded ready for paint but I've got to get the stops on first. As I'm painting the frames (not the doors) should I be leaving like 2mm all round to accommodate that additional thickness, and should that be more like 3mm at the hinge side? Planning on Zinsser BIN then my topcoat.
Nestor Posted 13 hours ago Posted 13 hours ago I used an old credit / debit card, cut up into 4 pieces and masking taped to the door along the handle / latch side as a spacer between the closed door and stop. Then same on the header and hinge side, though a slightly larger gap is fine. I would paint one first and pin lightly to establish the gap required, too much gap they can rattle. 1
Mike Posted 13 hours ago Posted 13 hours ago Yes, 2mm is standard - more-or-less the thickness of a 10p coin.
Russell griffiths Posted 2 hours ago Posted 2 hours ago Do you mean the gap between the door stop and the door which I think you do or the gap around the door to the lining. if you have fitted the door into the lining and now need to fit the door stop, the standard gap to leave for four coats of paint would be the thickness of a thin credit card, or an old business card, aprox 3quarters of a mm. 2-3mm gap is the gap between door and lining.
Oz07 Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago Black packer. 2mm. If head is full length pull door shut to latch, pin head stop up with black packer between door and stop, not pushing too hard against door. Then leg stops on hinge side hold the packer and nail at roughly the hinge positions then open the door and hold your 6ft level against the stop, pull it tight to the level then you know its straight. Few more pins. Latch side repeat keep it at 2mm if your latch is adjustable. Knock the inside part of latch forward a bit before final fix with ironmongery so it pulls in tight to stop. On site they just out the stops in a fixed distance from the door edge of the lining ie 37mm but thats more for production work ain't got time to mess with keeps. 1
Super_Paulie Posted 30 minutes ago Author Posted 30 minutes ago Thanks folks. Yeah it's the gap between the stop and the door I'm meaning, I have the gaps around the door all sorted at 2mm. So some of you guys say 3/4mm for paint, others 2mm 😆
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now