flanagaj Posted 3 hours ago Posted 3 hours ago Due to time constraints and the brickies marching on at pace, I'm considering using built in hangers for the flat roof of the attached garage. It's an insulated 150mm cavity and whilst the joists are probably better off being built in, I just wanted to ask whether it really matters on not?
Redbeard Posted 3 hours ago Posted 3 hours ago Have you got the rafters already? Could they not be built in quite simply? Or would that need you to take time off work to do it? If you go for built-in hangers who's responsible for getting them all level? Brickies or you? 1
Oz07 Posted 3 hours ago Posted 3 hours ago 35 minutes ago, flanagaj said: Due to time constraints and the brickies marching on at pace, I'm considering using built in hangers for the flat roof of the attached garage. It's an insulated 150mm cavity and whilst the joists are probably better off being built in, I just wanted to ask whether it really matters on not? Ledger board and face fixed hangers to this? 2
flanagaj Posted 2 hours ago Author Posted 2 hours ago 17 minutes ago, Oz07 said: Ledger board and face fixed hangers to this? Yes. I do think that is the best option. It means the brickies can build up the masonry and I also don't have to worry about the scaffolders erecting the scaffolding in the garage for the house upper storey and a pole coinciding with a joist. Also means I can do the garage roof in my own time at the weekend 👍
Iceverge Posted 52 minutes ago Posted 52 minutes ago You could consider parging behind them too just in case you ever need to airtight the garage .
Gus Potter Posted 5 minutes ago Posted 5 minutes ago 3 hours ago, flanagaj said: Due to time constraints and the brickies marching on at pace, I'm considering using built in hangers for the flat roof of the attached garage. It's an insulated 150mm cavity and whilst the joists are probably better off being built in, I just wanted to ask whether it really matters on not? It does. technically your SE may have designed the garage roof to provide lateral restraint to the wall, hence the built in joists and the bearing will be down the middle third of the wall. But hangers are not quite often as robust, the load path is slightly different. Practically, given your experience from what you have posted brickies are not your forte. The hangers are likely going to be all over the place level wise and you're garage roof will end up looking like a roller coaster. You are just digging yourself another hole. Now from memory your designer is not helpful, neither is your SE. If you want a bit of help with this then post some photos not least.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now