Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
12 hours ago, Alwayslearning22 said:

it’s damaged at the top of the hose right at the connection point. 
 

anyone help would save me a lot of worry 

Is it mains pressure or gravity fed? 
 

I had to squint to see the damage, but unfortunately it is there. The hose needs to be replaced imo as the braiding has very little mechanical purchase on that compressed ring and it’ll be very reliant on that to stop any further unravelling. 
 

These are cheap, go get a new one ;)  

 

Out of curiosity, are you using the wrong tools for this job? 

Posted
30 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Is it mains pressure or gravity fed? 
 

I had to squint to see the damage, but unfortunately it is there. The hose needs to be replaced imo as the braiding has very little mechanical purchase on that compressed ring and it’ll be very reliant on that to stop any further unravelling. 
 

These are cheap, go get a new one ;)  

 

Out of curiosity, are you using the wrong tools for this job? 

It’s gravity fed with a booster pump. 
I used one of those basin wrenches but I think I may have caught the pipe a few times with it?

Not really sure how it happened to be honest. 
should I replace it straight away? Could it burst while out of the house job?
Thanks Nick 

 

Posted
2 hours ago, Alwayslearning22 said:

It’s gravity fed with a booster pump. 
I used one of those basin wrenches but I think I may have caught the pipe a few times with it?

Not really sure how it happened to be honest. 
should I replace it straight away? Could it burst while out of the house job?
Thanks Nick 

 

It won’t burst today or tomorrow, but change it asap. Leave this at your peril. 
 

Is it a full bore flexi?

Posted
55 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

It won’t burst today or tomorrow, but change it asap. Leave this at your peril. 
 

Is it a full bore flexi?

It’s full bore yes. 

 

can I reuse the olive on this brass section coming from press fit? Also I’m struggling to find the right hose 
 

 

IMG_4136_for_forum_under_2MB.jpg

Posted
49 minutes ago, Alwayslearning22 said:

It’s full bore yes. 

 

can I reuse the olive on this brass section coming from press fit? Also I’m struggling to find the right hose 
 

 

IMG_4136_for_forum_under_2MB.jpg

Yea. Leave the nut and olive on. Just add some jointing compound and she’ll be mint. 

  • Thanks 1
Posted
2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Should be a standard large bore 22mm x 3/4” flexi:

 

Link

 

Perfect, I’ll not get it done until Monday can’t get any fittings around here until then.
 

Is it safe to leave the flexi as it is until then? Would you say it’s unlikely to burst. It’s actually less than a year old. 
 

thanks Nick your a godsend on here 

Posted
18 minutes ago, Alwayslearning22 said:

Perfect, I’ll not get it done until Monday can’t get any fittings around here until then.
 

Is it safe to leave the flexi as it is until then? Would you say it’s unlikely to burst. It’s actually less than a year old. 
 

thanks Nick your a godsend on here 

If the pumps not on then it’s only holding back gravity ;)  It’ll be fine.

 

When the pumps running it’s not under huge pressure either. Issues are largely when these are sat with full mains pressure 24/7, and then fail quite quickly (flood o’clock).

 

You should be good until then or longer. 

Posted
12 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

If the pumps not on then it’s only holding back gravity ;)  It’ll be fine.

 

When the pumps running it’s not under huge pressure either. Issues are largely when these are sat with full mains pressure 24/7, and then fail quite quickly (flood o’clock).

 

You should be good until then or longer. 

Brilliant. Now I can sleep tonight. Haha 

 

Thanks mate 

  • Like 1
Posted
On 26/09/2026 at 19:30, Nickfromwales said:

Tried changing this today 

 

the brass olive wasn’t even compressed it slid off. 
 

I can’t for the life of get a copper or brass to compress properly on the brass stub 

 

B7356F14-D915-491A-A2AD-46F08B81F40A.thumb.jpeg.32f1adf7921137be2188ba5415f6ddb1.jpeg

Posted
5 hours ago, Alwayslearning22 said:

Tried changing this today 

 

the brass olive wasn’t even compressed it slid off. 
 

I can’t for the life of get a copper or brass to compress properly on the brass stub 

 

B7356F14-D915-491A-A2AD-46F08B81F40A.thumb.jpeg.32f1adf7921137be2188ba5415f6ddb1.jpeg

It just uses compression to form a grip / seal. An olive wont compress a brass stem, like bringing a knife to a gunfight ;)  

 

Just pinch it up with a bit of oomph, and test for leaks. 👍

Posted
7 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

It just uses compression to form a grip / seal. An olive wont compress a brass stem, like bringing a knife to a gunfight ;)  

 

Just pinch it up with a bit of oomph, and test for leaks. 👍

I’m really struggling to tighten it up. I’m lucky to even get a quarter turn on it. 
 

the original olive was brass. I put it back on and tightened as much as I can. 
 

so is it  normal to tighten this and then if I were to undo it the olive would be able to slide off easily? 

Posted

One spanner on nut and second one on the hex above male thread(it's not very big), should stop everything spinning.

The olive won't compress on the brass but will seal with jointing compound.

  • Thanks 2
Posted
3 minutes ago, MPH243 said:

One spanner on nut and second one on the hex above male thread(it's not very big), should stop everything spinning.

The olive won't compress on the brass but will seal with jointing compound.

When I do that and tighten nut, once I put force on it the pipe starts turning under the floor 😩

Posted
35 minutes ago, Alwayslearning22 said:

Is the black plastic ring on the press fitting  supposed to have movement on it ?

 

have I messed it up now? 😣

Not sure as I "don't do pressfit".....

 

The two nuts can be pulled towards each other and the pipework below can be kept 'still', if you connect the flexi only a few turns hand tight onto the bath tap first, then finish tightening, and then go back to do the final tighten on the bath connector last.

 

You can balance how much you pull on each spanner until tight, without transferring any rotational force 'down below'.

 

The answer to the question "have I fecked it?", will be answered when the pump kicks in fella. Just suck it up and whack it on, the worst thing that can happen is in that link.

 

Crack on ;) :) 

  • Thanks 2
Posted
9 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Not sure as I "don't do pressfit".....

 

The two nuts can be pulled towards each other and the pipework below can be kept 'still', if you connect the flexi only a few turns hand tight onto the bath tap first, then finish tightening, and then go back to do the final tighten on the bath connector last.

 

You can balance how much you pull on each spanner until tight, without transferring any rotational force 'down below'.

 

The answer to the question "have I fecked it?", will be answered when the pump kicks in fella. Just suck it up and whack it on, the worst thing that can happen is in that link.

 

Crack on ;) :) 

I think I’m too dumb for those instructions haha 

 

can you dumb that down a bit 

Posted

You are not dumb, you got this far.

 

@Nickfromwales was meaning loosen the nut against the tap a little this will allow it to spin,

Then if you have the spanner handles close to each other so when doing up they close up the gap(kep fingers out of the gap it can hurt if it slips😂). You should not turn the pipe, then tighten nut to tap.

 

Did the tap and all pipe work spin under the floor? As nick said get this connected and see if the other leaks.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...