Old (~1970) black MDPE water supply - which connectors?

DavidWright

I want to re-route our incoming water supply. I mean inside the house - no digging involved. I want to end up with a new stop tap in a different place, feeding a new pipework.

Currently the incoming pipe comes in under the suspended floor at one end of the house, runs along the length of the house (just sat on the bare earth , then rises to go through the floor in one of the corners at the far end.
The incoming is black MDPE, and there's nothing to suggest it's not what was put in when the house was built in 1970. My vernier tells me has an OD of 26.9mm, which I believe makes it 3/4" pipe.

What sort of kit do I need to get that talking to modern pipe work?

Given the space and  distances involved with the new arrangement, I could either go straight to copper, or use modern MDPE for the first few metres. I'm open to suggestions.

Ideally I'd like to turn off the mains, tee into the existing about half way along, fit a stop cock on the tee, then turn the mains back on so we can continue using the existing supply while I set up the new arrangement at my own pace. If that doesn't sound too daft, what am I looking for?

There's this at toolstation,  http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbing/d20/MDPE/sd2729/Metric+to+Imp+Conversion+Kit/p51455

Looks like a replacement set of inserts to convert a metric fitting to take imperial pipe. Use two of those and a metric tee and your new branch will come out at metric size mdpe.

Buy the fittings and check again with your vernier that it is the right size before cutting the old pipe.

If you later want to disconnect the original supply point, either fit a stop end plug into the tee, or replce the tee with an elbow fitting.

23 hours ago, ProDave said:

There's this at toolstation,  http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbing/d20/MDPE/sd2729/Metric+to+Imp+Conversion+Kit/p51455

Looks like a replacement set of inserts to convert a metric fitting to take imperial pipe. Use two of those and a metric tee and your new branch will come out at metric size mdpe.

Thanks. It would be nice if those were enough. The only other thing I've come across are the Philmac  universal fittings (http://www.philmac.co.uk/products/3g-metricimperial/), which look great but there's a vast array of options and some are a tad expensive for a speculative (i.e. without a recommendation) purchase.

I'm not in a hurry, so I'll do as you suggest and get some of those converters & see if they look like they might do the job. Very much a case of measuring several times before any cutting is done!

Edited by DavidWright
typo

36 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Thanks. I was just about to say that I'd found this http://www.irrigationonline.co.uk/products/MDPE-Philmac-Coupler-Joiner-3G-Metric{47}Imperial™-compression-fitting-.html

and was considering taking out a section of the old and fitting two of those with a 'ordinary' MDPE blue and 'modern' fittings between. That approach might fit well with the longer term view, i.e. in due course, when I've finished and take out the old system, I end up with just one pipe conversion and everything is 'modern' from that point onwards.

One of the things that made me a bit shy of the Philmac kit is that there are a number of variations which seem to do essentially the same thing (e.g. the two above) with no really clear reason for there being a choice?

As is sometimes the case up here the choice may end up being a matter of delivery policy of the seller! :D

17 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

I was looking at these the other day. May be an option. :)

Thanks for the suggestion. Another for the mix, and reasonably priced (the first hit on a web search was around £7 (plus VAT? it wasn't mentioned on the page,but...).

I've already ordered a couple of Philmac '3g' couplers. I'll measure those up carefully, then see how it goes (& hope that it's well, because if not...)