Steel roof

I'm going with a Tata Colourcoat Urban. I'm not personally doing it myself, but they do put a short course on to teach you how, and others at ebuild did just that.

Ball-park cost came in at £40ish /m2

We originally planned to cover half our roof in metal, but have since decided to go with an all tile roof covering.  I looked at both profile sheeting and standing seam and have obtained the following prices:

Materials - 

Planwell Profile sheets - £15 per m2 inc sheets, ridge and barge flashings, fixings and delivery to quayside (Orkney).

Tata Colorcoat Urban Standing Seam - £30 per m2 inc sheets, ridge, verge, valley, ventilation, fixings and tools. Delivery (to Aberdeen only) £650 if part of a shared load, over £1K if not.  Tata will not let you collect / arrange a haulier to collect so you are stuck with their delivery charges.  You also have to bear in mind an 18mm ply/OSB deck is required to fix the sheets to.  Tata initially refused to budge on price, saying their product didn't compare to profile sheeting and should only be compared to higher priced zinc or aluminium standing seam.  However, they did follow up and reduce the cost of the sheets by 15% in recognition of the 'risk' factor involved as I had been planning to get my builder to install the roof (and he had no previous experience of fitting this product).

Installation costs

Tata - guide price £16 m2 for finished roof (breaks down to £12 m2 for sheets, then varies per linear metre for various trims). 

Planwell - a bit of extra work involved (compared to SS) as the roof would need battened out and all the sheets marked to ensure fixings were in line. I didn't go the length of getting an installation price, but suspect it would end up costing a little bit more to install than standing seam.

Funnily enough I've just a salesman from Caley Timber (nr Inverness) visit the site, he says they can easily beat Planwell on price. So we shall see about that.

I'm dithering a bit about what profile to use: corrugated might well be more fitting for a little house, as the normal (mostly flat, widely spaced ridges) box profile is rather shed-like. The other option is the 'modified sine wave' (for want of a better term) profile which comprises symmetrical flats and ridges.

On 22/06/2016 at 16:39, Crofter said:

Funnily enough I've just a salesman from Caley Timber (nr Inverness) visit the site, he says they can easily beat Planwell on price. So we shall see about that.

I'm dithering a bit about what profile to use: corrugated might well be more fitting for a little house, as the normal (mostly flat, widely spaced ridges) box profile is rather shed-like. The other option is the 'modified sine wave' (for want of a better term) profile which comprises symmetrical flats and ridges.

Snap! He arrived just as we were unloading blocks and sand from the Caley Timber lorry. He said he'd just been to Dunvegan so probably saw your site from the road and called in. Never mentioned roof sheeting though and we need a fair bit!

For what it's worth, I reckon yours would look best in corrugated too:)