Roof construction design

Our roof is made up of 3 separate mono pitches that I would like to either use a steel web joist or a jji joist, what I need to find is somebody to design the structure to make sure they can take the loads and also not blow off, we have some large overhangs up to 1500mm in places. 

So before you all shout architect I will say that I think we have come to the end of the line with him and need to look for somebody new. 

Has anybody used one of the actual joist suppliers to do any design work, or shall I look at finding an architectural technician, or I was going to give Cullen timber design a call. 

Anybody have any thoughts. 

Russel I am not clear on your roof but ours is 3 sections flat middle and sloping up quite steeply at the end on the sections either side. We have very large fascias and overhangs. It was a challenge due to our windy location.

MBC provided us with a flat deck and we effectively built another roof on top. No architect involvement but had SE input because of te loading on the MBC frame and the wind factor.  Our trusses were made by Wykham Blackwell in Hampton in arden near Birmingham Airport. The improved on SE design.  They are brilliant.

If it helps any I can send you some of our drawings so you get the idea.

• Like 1

Most of the truss manufacturers can do this for you and specify - and supply - the correct steelwork and calculations to keep the BCO happy. 

I use DWB in Hull as they supply my BM but that’s down to choice and location. If you are midlands based then Wyckham Blackwell are also very good as they do glulam beams which may work better for you than steel if you want them on show. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Has anybody used one of the actual joist suppliers to do any design work, or shall I look at finding an architectural technician, or I was going to give Cullen timber design a call. 

Anybody have any thoughts. 

We used Scotts of Thrapston who designed our metal web joists.

http://www.scottsofthrapston.co.uk/page.php?article=997&name

• Like 1