Reader, I sold it.

After 4 years of Planning and Marketing processes I finally sold my former family smallholding for housing to a developer this morning, with exchange and completion.

That means I may be in a position to do a small project or two in the next couple of years.

I'll also say a bit more about lessons and prices, and the psychological mincing machines involved in this process.

Phew.

But first thing tomorrow I'm off to London for Open Garden Squares weekend.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

Good news, but I'll be very interested to hear how long it takes before the developer ACTUALLY STARTS BUILDING!

My experience around here is that I've now sat in on three planning committee meetings, where big developers have put forward strong cases for gaining planning permission, always on the basis of the URGENT need for new houses in the area, and that the Local Authority was failing to meet its deliverable 5 year housing target.  The last one of these was 18 months ago.  So far NONE of these developments have even been started..........................

1 minute ago, JSHarris said:

Good news, but I'll be very interested to hear how long it takes before the developer ACTUALLY STARTS BUILDING!

My experience around here is that I've now sat in on three planning committee meetings, where big developers have put forward strong cases for gaining planning permission, always on the basis of the URGENT need for new houses in the area, and that the Local Authority was failing to meet its deliverable 5 year housing target.  The last on of these was 18 months ago.  So far NONE of these developments have even been started..........................

In a case like this, they should have the power to grant permission with an expiry of 12 months. The builder did say it was URGENT didn't he?  Then if they re apply after it has expired, refuse it because there clearly was NOT a need after all.

7 minutes ago, ProDave said:

In a case like this, they should have the power to grant permission with an expiry of 12 months. The builder did say it was URGENT didn't he?  Then if they re apply after it has expired, refuse it because there clearly was NOT a need after all.

They should, but they didn't, in any of the three cases.  It's a game, with the prize being the uplift in value of the land with time once it has PP.  I know things are very different here from where you are, but we're in a rising market with a housing shortage, so controlling the release of new houses to the market controls the price, which in turn controls the profit.

16 minutes ago, TheMitchells said:

Enjoy the gardens!  I'll be there on Sunday.  Well done on the sale - here's to the future.:D

I'm going to have a look at the Tower Bridge Houseboats if it is open - I think that may be where Jo Cox lived. Hopefully there will be a donations in memorium plate  if so.

A couple of weeks ago I got my Diamond Status with Hilton so I will have a nice room on the Executive Floor, which will work well.

One hotel I'm trying is the Docklands Hilton where you go across the river on a private ferry.

Ferdinand

That sounds great - I am not sure where I'm going as I am going with three others and we haven't decided where we will go yet - more likely around north/hampstead/regents park area. But will take your number just in case we get anywhere near there.:D

10 hours ago, ProDave said:

What took the 4 years? getting planning? or finding a buyer?

A few months mulling it when out site was excluded from the Local Plan at a very late stage - options to wait and hope it would change, with the prospect of waiting 15 years until the next cycle or do PP App now. 

6 months to Outline Planning App from deciding to do it, including reports (approx 12 :-).

6 months for Council to process it (incl about 3 months of extra requested delays) and refuse.

About 2-3 months to create, submit and win Appeal.

2 years and a bit to sell it, including 4-5 month delay because a public body (the County tier of Govt) with neighbouring land refused to engage on an issue which they said they would only consider at Detailed stage. We just had no leverage when they sat on it.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

On 17 June 2016 at 20:00, JSHarris said:

They should, but they didn't, in any of the three cases.  It's a game, with the prize being the uplift in value of the land with time once it has PP.  I know things are very different here from where you are, but we're in a rising market with a housing shortage, so controlling the release of new houses to the market controls the price, which in turn controls the profit.

One for another thread but it would be a devil to make work, since e.g. a Condition of Tree or Bat evaluations or work could add an elapsed 4-6 months just on its own if a PP came through in say April.

Would that Council caused delay be added on to the 12 months or what?

What happens if Land prices tank by 25-50% overnight as in 2008-9. when the Section 106s were deliberately impossible to untangle? That took several years for the Govt to address effectively.

What's to stop foundations being dug, and covered up again?

Ferdinand