Timber frame passive standard build

• 3 months later...

I am re-opening this thread (if that's OK to do?) with some questions on this neat finish.  Our MBC slab is going in at the moment so we are thinking about this geotextile and alu finish.  Looks so smart.  My question is on the geotextile.  Is this rodent proof or did you put something else over it?  What have you back filled in next to that geotextile?  I was thinking about putting my excess MOT type 1 in there.  But don't want the rats to make a home under my house......

Any spec on that geotextile (is a minefield of choice out there)?  Or any other finishing ideas for on top of the EPS?

2 hours ago, Weebles said:

I am re-opening this thread (if that's OK to do?) with some questions on this neat finish.  Our MBC slab is going in at the moment so we are thinking about this geotextile and alu finish.  Looks so smart.  My question is on the geotextile.  Is this rodent proof or did you put something else over it?  What have you back filled in next to that geotextile?  I was thinking about putting my excess MOT type 1 in there.  But don't want the rats to make a home under my house......

Any spec on that geotextile (is a minefield of choice out there)?  Or any other finishing ideas for on top of the EPS?

I have a whole roll of geotex unused was taken away by the project manager to sell...we bought 2 only used 1........not heard any more about it or of he ever sold it but as he took a job with mbc after getting involved with them while working on my job if you get offered a bargain roll by an mbc bod it is probably my surplus. It was about £250 a roll, I will look out invoice from BM so I can tell you spec.

We fixed to eps with things that looked like enormous plastic nails...mushrooms I think they were called....will have detail somewhere.  Our alu flashings are deep they come right down over most of geotex7EBD37AB-B6A3-4C21-8CD1-4045B91B7245.thumb.jpeg.7913f03a428baf05e81e6ee26dad1c31.jpeg and go down below ground build up around eps.  I think we just brought the type 1 up to alu nothing further, will check with my man who did it. I dont think rodents will get through the geotex it is very strong....underneath well who knows but where do you stop....the attached pic gives a clue...this is where we had to dig out to find why a toilet was not flushing properly and found it had not been connected to anything in the ground but thats a whole other story, just thank goodness for a second fix plumber who noticed a slow drain on the w.c. he was installing.

@Weebles found the detail on geotex amazingly quickly given my filing system is a big box!

We used Wykamol Kontract Geotextile 1.9m x 20m long. It was £197.80 plus vat per roll. I think we had to trim it we didnt use 1.9m over the eps.maybe half as wide feels about it.

On 08/07/2018 at 13:24, lizzie said:

@Weebles found the detail on geotex amazingly quickly given my filing system is a big box!

We used Wykamol Kontract Geotextile 1.9m x 20m long. It was £197.80 plus vat per roll. I think we had to trim it we didnt use 1.9m over the eps.maybe half as wide feels about it.

Thats an odd choice for just protecting EPS as that’s a draining geotex for use around buildings and basements. It’s double layer to allow water to drain away into a French drain below.

Who specified that @lizzie..??

26 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Thats an odd choice for just protecting EPS as that’s a draining geotex for use around buildings and basements. It’s double layer to allow water to drain away into a French drain below.

Who specified that @lizzie..??

The erstwhile project manager.....please dont tell me its the wrong stuff!!! We do have a french drain all around  but its not in that.

4 minutes ago, lizzie said:

The erstwhile project manager.....please dont tell me its the wrong stuff!!! We do have a french drain all around  but its not in that.

Well it’s certainly over spec ..!!! I’m sure he has his reasons, you won’t have damp issues with that though ..!

• Thanks 1

• 4 years later...
On 09/01/2018 at 15:34, lizzie said:

Ha ha I think Peter will be alive to possibilities, he is no slouch! There was much debate before finally settling on this as a solution and it works well enough. We did get ours done in a matt finish I was very clear no gloss on anything, think you are right about gloss being default,  we are very modern style and gloss would have been wrong for us. Ours looks to be deeper over the EPS than yours it goes down quite a way and yours perhaps higher up the wall. We are part render (alumasc) and part larch clad with internorm 3g aliclad windows and doors.

Did you only have Peter helping you for  MBC for that part of your build, are you going it alone for the rest?

We have been at it nigh on 2 years now and you look more finished than we do LOL We had a lot of issues to get past. Still getting there on some things but light beginning to appear at the end of the very long tunnel.

We are on the Warwks/Worcs border near Stratford upon Avon. On the top of the Ridgeway with clear views across nearly 40 miles to the  Malvern Hills and home beyond  - I am Welsh but South, don’t know your part of the world at all Derek.

Kitchen fitting going on at the mo but outside is a nightmare of mud, groundworks not finished yet.

566940A1-21BD-4086-A6FA-6EB3BEE4DFBD.jpeg

7AA33861-E148-47EB-AB41-EA1CAD5DB691.jpeg

Hi Lizzie,

I'm just starting to think about how to cover my raft and was just wondering if you have and finished photos of this with the FGL built up and what threshold junction you created as you come out of the sliding door?

Any photos would be so helpful. thanks