Glazing and frames

Thedreamer

Hello,

I'm weighing up our options when it compares to windows:

1) Double glazing, timber frame £7.6k - average U Value 1.2W

2) Triple glazing, timber frame £8.2k -average U Value 1.0W

3) Double glazing, alum clad £8.8k - average U Value 1.2W

4) Triple glazing, alum clad £9.4k, - average U Value 1.0W

Is it worth paying the additional £1.8k for triple glazing and alum clad? 

The triple glazing seems sensible for the cost difference, but is alum clad really a lot more durable than timber?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Have you considered ALU clad UPVC, more durable and usually cheaper, they can colour it as you require so it doesn't look like that cr*p people installed not so long ago (and still in some areas).  You just need to ensure the frames are correctly insulated.

When you ask which is more durable, is the Alu Clad option a timber framed window? A benefit of ALu Cladding on timber is that it offers a degree of protection and required minimal maintenance over the long term (as well as a visual difference). 

Timber is very durable regardless, but will require to be looked after. Alu Cladding has a quite different look - arguably more modern. 

I agree with @le-cerveau, indeed, if we do another build, I'll probably go down the UPVC route (With or without alucladding). Whilst timber is lovely, if you paint it, really, I see little point on going for timber if you can't see it. We have bog standard UPVC (1.6)  in our flat - in the 5 years they have been in I've done nothing more than wipe with a damp cloth and they look as good as the day they went in. 

I’ve just completed two barn conversions Both owners are joiners Both have elected for a mixture of UPV and aluminium 

Allbeit one has made two beautiful hardwood doors for the front doors 

Both sited the same reasons as above Maintenance Wood needs looking after

On our build planners insisted on sash windows (painted) We eventually persuaded them that UPVC with a wood grain finish would be better for us

I could of had them made from timber for a simalar price 

But as already stated above

a quick wipe with a cloth Good as new 

Yes @jamiehamy it was timber window with alum clad I was considering.

Wasn't aware of ALU clad UPVC windows thanks  @le-cerveau I'll look into this further.

I'm building in the Hebrides so was thinking that the alum clad windows might provide a bit more protection from the wind and rain.

Thanks for the comments.

Edited by Thedreamer