Resin floor

Pocster

What do we think of this as opposed to the traditional approach of tile ??

it seems to look great ! Assume it’s no more expensive than tile and certainly less work for me :-)

but what happens if an alteration needs to be made ? Or resin floor gets a heavy object dropped on it ! Less of a problem with tile !

just wondering at this stage ! . But the thought of not laying hundreds of tiles , plus all the cutting , adhesive and grouting - makes me consider it .....

any views welcome !

Edited by pocster

6 minutes ago, Roger440 said:

I cant say ive used in a domestic setting, but yes, if you drop something on it, it will chip. Which will be difficult to repair.

Hmmm that worries me ! Sod’s law and all that ! . Will a resin floor scratch ?? ; you know when that guest stands up and scrapes their dining chair against the floor ....

We like ours a lot

It will take knocks and bumps without showing permanent marks. So far any marks have been able to be rubbed off.

We did however have a disaster when the worktop fitters dropped a 2.4m x 1.1m granite breakfast bar on to the floor as they were bringing it into the house. Destroyed the breakfast bar and put a hole in the resin floor (and chipped the structural concrete slab).

It's been repaired and the repair is not invisible. While I see every time I walk passed it, nobody visiting has ever commented so it can't be that noticeable.

What it is vulnerable to is dropping sharp objects on it, knives in the kitchen for instance.

Will a resin floor scratch ?? ; you know when that guest stands up and scrapes their dining chair against the floor ....

Just like a stone floor, I'd recommend felt pads on the feet of furniture.

Edited by IanR

10 minutes ago, IanR said:

We like ours a lot

It will take knocks and bumps without showing permanent marks. So far any marks have been able to be rubbed off.

We did however have a disaster when the worktop fitters dropped a 2.4m x 1.1m granite breakfast bar on to the floor as they were bringing it into the house. Destroyed the breakfast bar and put a hole in the resin floor (and chipped the structural concrete slab).

It's been repaired and the repair is not invisible. While I see every time I walk passed it, nobody visiting has ever commented so it can't be that noticeable.

What it is vulnerable to is dropping sharp objects on it, knives in the kitchen for instance.

Just like a stone floor, I'd recommend felt pads on the feet of furniture.

Ok :-)

may I ask cost per sq metre for your floor ? I *assume* cheaper than tile .......

56 minutes ago, pocster said:

Ok :-)

may I ask cost per sq metre for your floor ? I *assume* cheaper than tile .......

After a long negotiation, ours came in at just under £75/m2 for a 250m2 job.

But, as I mentioned in the thread I linked to, the price dropped from £85 to £75 when I added an additional area, but not much extra product was required, just less waste. The quotes I got ranged from low £70's to high £120's per meter. 

You could tile cheaper, using smaller format ceramics, but pricing is comparable to large format porcelain tiles.

Edited by IanR

42 minutes ago, IanR said:

After a long negotiation, ours came in at just under £75/m2 for a 250m2 job.

But, as I mentioned in the thread I linked to, the price dropped from £85 to £75 when I added an additional area, but not much extra product was required, just less waste. The quotes I got ranged from low £70's to high £120's per meter. 

You could tile cheaper, using smaller format ceramics, but pricing is comparable to large format porcelain tiles.

Resin floor would save my knees !!

• 2 weeks later...

On 09/12/2017 at 20:14, pocster said:

Resin floor would save my knees !!

A couple of months ago, Screwfix were giving away free foam doormat-like things as seen below. Might they still be around?

Ferdinand

20171212_131527-s-crop.jpg.20748e7b1b8a8032e71251283d8613e6.jpg

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1