Q&A on our self-build, as featured on Grand Designs 2024

As promised, a Q&A, to ask us anything about our Grand Designs project, which aired on TV two weeks ago.

Forums like Buildhub, have been an great resource for us to learn from others, and so if this is one way we can give back, then happy to.

Much of the 'technical' gets glossed over during the TV show, purely due to time constraints. So if there are specific questions about our building fabric, fire away.

Rather than dumping loads of photos here, there's plenty of the process on our Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thefoxesmaltings/

Disclaimer: We are first time self-builders, and I am by no means an expert, nor do I pretend to be one. There is still plenty of stuff I have no idea about, and plenty of you on here with way more knowledge than me!

Based on any answers, I would love to know what you would have done differently, or things we could have done better. Who knows, there might be a next project...

And of course, if you missed the episode, you can watch it on demand, on Channel4.com.

461679108_883033790638907_733412167992145136_n.thumb.jpg.3caa9d1d277c4a323232354f1ddbc928.jpg

• Like 1

One thing that might help, and I forgot to add into the original post is a breakdown of the house technicals. Off the top of my head...

• Block & Beam subfloor.
  • Timber frame to 0.09 wall U-value. (220mm insulation to walls. 150mm to roof).
  • Double glazing, with solar glass spec to large south facing units.
  • Brick clad and slate roof.
  • MVHR + Comfoclime Cooling and heating.
  • Air Source Heat Pump
  • 10kW PV System, 10kW Battery Store & EV Charger.
  • UFH Upstairs & downstairs.
  • Energy rating of A.
  • Air Tightness of 2.22.

I was wondering about the performance numbers, thanks for sharing. Did you add more insulation over the insulation we saw set into the frame? We couldn’t find a TF company that could achieve 0.09 without extra layers of PIR. Triple glazing seems to be the next step for efficiency but I guess with your widows that would have been very expensive? 

3 hours ago, zzPaulzz said:

I was wondering about the performance numbers, thanks for sharing. Did you add more insulation over the insulation we saw set into the frame? We couldn’t find a TF company that could achieve 0.09 without extra layers of PIR. Triple glazing seems to be the next step for efficiency but I guess with your widows that would have been very expensive? 

In terms of energy saving I did the numbers a couple of years ago. 

The best bang for your buck beyond bregs basics are:

1. Airtighess 

2. MVHR

3. 3g Windows 

4. Roof insulation

5. Wall insulation

6. Floor insulation

In terms of better performance than basic on a TF you could stick frame it on site and build whatever you like.

Edited by Iceverge