Self Levelling Compound as finished floor ..?

PeterW

Got a little bit of an issue ... the boss has chosen a very nice limestone flooring that we are using through most of the downstairs. 

The plant room(s) will both open onto a corridor done in this, but due to a couple of reasons we won’t have the flooring for about 6 weeks. It’s also 22mm thick ..!

I need to get the tank and first fix finished so was thinking that as a finished floor (and to bring the level up) I could use self levelling compound on the current floor with a batten to set the door level. 

Two questions :

- assuming it will take the load of a 300litre UVC, will it stand the wear

- does it need a finish surface such as paint..? 

I don’t really want a step down into the plant room of an inch or so if I can help it but that’s the other option. 

@Nickfromwales...??

I had a levelling compound on my garage floor for years without any covering, it stood up well to the jack but not so well to axle stands. 

Mine was only 3-6 mm thick as I wanted a very flat floor to work on. 

I did paint it in the end. 

If i was doing it again I would put an epoxy over it. 

Maybe if you get a cream colour epoxy it will look similar to the tiles. 

Right .... job done ..!

Wickes had their latex SLC on offer so it’s worked out about £13 a bag. 

I learned two things today .... the first is that a bag of SLC and 4 litres of water will fit in a standard Wickes bucket ....

The second was that Wickes make their buckets out of recycled milk carton lids and they can’t cope with the weight ...!! >:( Lost about 10% of the first bucket to the utility floor, the rest got mixed in a couple of batches and seemed to  be fine when it was mixed into the rest on the floor..... 

• Haha 1