Blinding beam and block before insulation?

Hi all, I've read a fair few threads on here, but still have questions! Any advice will be much appreciated.

Our builder has done the shell of our self build bungalow. They have grouted the beam and block nice and solid, and it's now over to me to do the DPM, 120mm PIR and 2nd membrane before the heating company do the UFH.  But brushing-in the  cement grout has left ridges up to 10mm high. I have begun breaking off the worst ones but it is very tough and impossible to get completely level. I'm worried about the insulation rocking or sagging, and any such movement inducing cracking in the screed.  The builder has said it is usual to blind the floor with sand to take out discrepancies in level, but how would you get the sand level? Spreading the sand and dragging a straight edge over it? Once the DPM is down it's too late to adjust the sand if a PIR board is found to be rocking.

Can anyone advise how to get this right?

Thanks for the idea Russell.  Had a quick look and there seems to be a few 110v machines that might do it.  Just wondering what sort of machine worked for you?  Did you use something like this

image.png.a634f0217567e5193431f11a65f1cd1e.png

(I think you have to by carborundum or diamond blocks for it)

or this

image.png.477518de6ce65326e00c35ec9417438e.png

or was it a heavy pneumatic scabbler?

image.png

Edited by Dave Anderson
duplicated image insertion

I think PIR will crush over any lumps, and I would load it to make sure. ie a plywood walkway .

but a skim of sand will help too in filling hollows. it wont need to be dead smooth.

I vaguely remember treating a B and B floor by pouring an ultra thin slurry over it, using a watering can.

Thanks everyone, a variety of ideas all with much merit I think. I guess there is also the option of adding some self levelling, but with an area of 160m2 it's a bit pricey (Toolstation £500 at average 3mm thickness) so prefer to avoid if possible.

I think I'll aim to persevere with chopping out the globs of grout as best I can with the Mutt and a chisel, then try "screeding" some soft sand into the low bits. Then let the PIR bend/crush to the shape under the weight of the wet screed. Unless anyone has any more suggestions?  Still to decide whether to go with two 60mm layers of PIR.