electric heated towel rails

lizzie

Hi all

I am now looking at buying the towel rails for our bathrooms. We opted to go electric only so starting the search and I am confused (easily done!).

I want towel rails where the cable is hidden in the wall and is not visible at all in the bathroom.  I am not sure how to achieve it. Most sites I look at the electric heating element is a separate item but then there are an array of valves and I presume that is the route to the hidden cable but I cannot figure it out.

Can anyone tell me in simple terms what I need to buy?

MT

Liz

I am having electric towel radiators In my bathrooms ,they come ready filled with oil and a short cable to an outlet plate in the wall and this is cabled ( buried) to a timer/thermostat/fused spur outlet in a suitable location ( hidden in a built in wardrobe outside the bathroom in my case).

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

I am having electric towel radiators In my bathrooms ,they come ready filled with oil and a short cable to an outlet plate in the wall and this is cabled ( buried) to a timer/thermostat/fused spur outlet in a suitable location ( hidden in a built in wardrobe outside the bathroom in my case).

Thanks.

I dont want to see the cable at all and I think there are some special bits you can get to hide it.

Where are you sourcing your rails from. Bewildering number of web sites!

We had this discussion a while back. I think it was ME who posted a link to a high end one with cabling hidden in the mounting brackets. :) For the life of me I can't find the thread. @Nickfromwales WILL remember!

Then there's add on "housings" to neaten up and hide the cabling in regular ones.

http://www.geyser.co.uk/cable-housing-unit-single-heat-element-shiny-chrome-p-845.html

Edited by Onoff

I used standard towel rails (well, not quite standard, as I managed to find some very wide ones, that will easily take two bath towels side by side) and fitted low power electric elements.  It was pretty easy to just fit two matching right angle "pipe" connections at the base and run the cable inside one of them.  The towel rails are filled with inhibited car antifreeze, with a tiny expansion gap.  If you don't want the risk of trusting antifreeze to be suitably corrosion inhibited, then the cheap option is to use a mixture of 60% monoethylene glycol, 1% sodium nitrite and 39% water.  That is a better corrosion inhibiting mix than any of the commercial products, and will last decades in a sealed towel rail.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

We had this discussion a while back. I think it was ME who posted a link to a high end one with cabling hidden in the mounting brackets. :) For the life of me I can't find the thread. @Nickfromwales WILL remember!

Then there's add on "housings" to neaten up and hide the cabling in regular ones.

http://www.geyser.co.uk/cable-housing-unit-single-heat-element-shiny-chrome-p-845.html

Thats the thread I have been searching for, I remembered the discussion but can’t find it!

2 hours ago, JSHarris said:

I used standard towel rails (well, not quite standard, as I managed to find some very wide ones, that will easily take two bath towels side by side) and fitted low power electric elements.  It was pretty easy to just fit two matching right angle "pipe" connections at the base and run the cable inside one of them.  The towel rails are filled with inhibited car antifreeze, with a tiny expansion gap.  If you don't want the risk of trusting antifreeze to be suitably corrosion inhibited, then the cheap option is to use a mixture of 60% monoethylene glycol, 1% sodium nitrite and 39% water.  That is a better corrosion inhibiting mix than any of the commercial products, and will last decades in a sealed towel rail.

Oh I had no idea I had to fill them with that sort of stuff.......I have a lot to learn!