SE plans for Klargester to feed into rainwater soakaway, is this right?

overthehill

If your building controller is happy with that, then happy days.

But if not, move the rainwater soakaway to under the front drive, leave a drainage field in the back for the plant. Or leave as is, and also have a soakaway under the drive for the garage roof and the downpipes on the front of the house.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, crooksey said:

soakaway under the drive for the garage roof and the downpipes 

It is often a good solution to take rainwater in several directions, to their own small soakaways or French drains.

As soon a they are 5m from the house, you can use perforated pipe and the pervolation begins. Cheaper than those crates too.

I'm still concerned about the cover and invert levels. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, for the continued suggestions. There's certainly a lot to consider and take in!

It's definitely been helpful to fully understand the difference betweent he drainage fields and soakways. As people have mentioned, I think our SE is of the opinion that the output from the treatment plan will be sufficiently clean to mix with the rainwater in the soakaway. It's good to know where the regulations stand on this, which is the same as the manufacturers; a drainage field is needed.

Putting a soakaway in front of the house is a good idea, as is are the alternatives to a Klargester. We're defintiely sold on this.

Options for the SVPs is interesting. We'd thought there were a lot but that one was needed for each WC. If this isn't the case then it would be good to explore other options. We don't want a lovely house looking like a hedgehog unnecessarily!

We'll look into the depth and invert levels. Thank you. Need to keep learning more and all your help opinions is massively appreciated.

On 16/09/2024 at 18:14, overthehill said:

Thanks everyone, for the continued suggestions. There's certainly a lot to consider and take in!

It's definitely been helpful to fully understand the difference betweent he drainage fields and soakways. As people have mentioned, I think our SE is of the opinion that the output from the treatment plan will be sufficiently clean to mix with the rainwater in the soakaway. It's good to know where the regulations stand on this, which is the same as the manufacturers; a drainage field is needed.

Putting a soakaway in front of the house is a good idea, as is are the alternatives to a Klargester. We're defintiely sold on this.

Options for the SVPs is interesting. We'd thought there were a lot but that one was needed for each WC. If this isn't the case then it would be good to explore other options. We don't want a lovely house looking like a hedgehog unnecessarily!

We'll look into the depth and invert levels. Thank you. Need to keep learning more and all your help opinions is massively appreciated.

Thanks for this post and keeping it updated - I'm following closely as we're starting to look at this for our build (builder had just mentioned to us yesterday to ensure that rainwater drainage mustn't be directed to the waste water drainage field). We had been recommended the Klargester Biodisc, partly as being the quietest treatment plant on the market (we're in a very quiet location and weren't aware of the noisy created by air blower pumps until it was mentioned to us).

Good luck with the build.

21 minutes ago, Great_scot_selfbuild said:

We had been recommended the Klargester Biodisc, partly as being the quietest treatment plant on the market

No they are not.  They have a motor running inside them 24/7 driving a gearbox and I think a chain to move the big rotating paddle wheel.  They are anything but silent.

An air blower type treatment plant just has a standard air blower pump running.  There can be a bit of hum in some designs because the manufacturers don't seem to bother with sound proofing and just sit them on a flat surface that can act like a drum.  But with a bit of care it is easy to make them very quiet, and some designs let you mount the air blower away from the plant, some have build a brick enclosure for the blower for instance to make it totally silent. 

• Like 3

I often hear second hand that klargester is best, and other makes have problems. I think it must be taught to installers who get a certificate and truly believe they are now experts.

When I have  engaged with klargester at an exhibition, I heard similar nonsense. They don't engage in further discussion.

They are OK. So are others.

As prodave says..if it really bothers you,   choose a make where the pump can be separate, and bury it. Quiet will become ultra quiet.

1 hour ago, saveasteading said:

choose a make where the pump can be separate, and bury it. Quiet will become ultra quiet.

+1, I buried my pump house and used sound absorbing foam in the box and it was very quiet, i would bet it was quieter than a gearbox and bunch of gears in the smelly stuff.