Solid fixings of timber support into rendered concrete block.

1 minute ago, Super_Paulie said:

supporting a rolling pin and a jar of pizza base.

One of Parkinson's laws is that everyone chips in on an easy subject.

Whatever fixings are used here no one will die.

Roll on page 3.

• Like 1

Well I think a lot of us know what will “not fall down” (this thread for example) and those that don’t know will ask an SE, and when calculations for people like BCO,s  are required we all need SE,s..

On 13/09/2024 at 00:12, Gus Potter said:

Hi all.

There is lots of talk about concrete screws. But it is apparent to me as an SE that you have no idea of the loads that you may be supporting and the different behavoir of the substrate you are fixing into.

Unless you are aware of this and the compressive loads from above, masonry bonding and the fact that a lot of concrete screws off the self are not stucturally rated then you need to shut the (expletive deleted) up as your comments are dangerous.. and stop giving advice that could miss lead the novice to Build HUb.

if you want to suggest other fixings then I'm ears..

Hi Gus,

Thanks for the comments, appreciate it. As joe90 said it's only to support a shelf, which will have some wood and other items on it. I'm also an engineer, although the aerospace kind by training (now I fly for a living) so completely get where you're coming from. This is only a DIY Pizza oven project. Anything more serious I would be getting a professional in!

Anyway...it turned out OK, apart from the rendering which is awful!

Cheers,

Ed

IMG_0108.jpeg

Edited by machtucker
  • Like 2

On 19/09/2024 at 09:27, machtucker said:

Hi Gus,

Thanks for the comments, appreciate it. As joe90 said it's only to support a shelf, which will have some wood and other items on it. I'm also an engineer, although the aerospace kind by training (now I fly for a living) so completely get where you're coming from. This is only a DIY Pizza oven project. Anything more serious I would be getting a professional in!

Anyway...it turned out OK, apart from the rendering which is awful!

Cheers,

Ed

All comments accepted. I went a bit overboard right enough.

Interesting you are an Engineer that now flies for a day job... how did you get from A to B?  There is another member on BH that does the same as yourself. Great bloke.. attention to detail is impressive. One of my family flies fast jets.. retired, appreciate the way you filter stuff. Golden rule seems to be.. don't crash.

Well done with the oven.. it's all about the food.. who cares what the render looks like.

• Thanks 1

On 21/09/2024 at 23:08, Gus Potter said:

All comments accepted. I went a bit overboard right enough.

Interesting you are an Engineer that now flies for a day job... how did you get from A to B?  There is another member on BH that does the same as yourself. Great bloke.. attention to detail is impressive. One of my family flies fast jets.. retired, appreciate the way you filter stuff. Golden rule seems to be.. don't crash.

Well done with the oven.. it's all about the food.. who cares what the render looks like.

Cheers Gus,

Infact I always wanted to be a pilot but I’m slightly colourblind so went down the engineering route to get as close as I could. It’s actually quite a common route to be a pilot. Pretty handy having a thorough grounding in what’s going on. It turned out there are degrees of colourblindness and I actually passed the test in 2007. I then got onto the cadet programme with an airline and the rest is history. 

I think I’d do a better job on the rendering if I did it again. The mix was too dry and I was also rushing as my wife had organised meeting friends down the pub that afternoon - not good for good rendering it turns out. 😂 I’m just saying it’s “rustic”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, machtucker said:

The pizza oven has arrived - all 380kg of it. I now have the challenge of getting it into position in one piece. Got and engine hoist coming in a few weeks. 

That is definitely a BIG oven!

On 24/09/2024 at 10:01, machtucker said:

The pizza oven has arrived - all 380kg of it. I now have the challenge of getting it into position in one piece. Got and engine hoist coming in a few weeks.

Just asking.. any chance of a free pizza?

• Haha 1