Can you use stainless steel screws with a Dewalt torque driver ?

Siadwell

I understand that a stainless steel screw is softer than carbon steel and that a pilot hole is required, even in pine.

Provided that a pilot hole made, is okay to use a to torque driver without breaking the screws.

19 minutes ago, Siadwell said:

I understand that a stainless steel screw is softer than carbon steel and that a pilot hole is required, even in pine.

Provided that a pilot hole made, is okay to use a to torque driver without breaking the screws.

Depends on size of screws and at what torque you are driving too. I just finished a fence all SS screws, nothing pre drilled and had not a single screw issue. I used ones with a square drive hole and corresponding drive bit.

This is what I used

https://www.toolstation.com/deck-tite-plus-a4-countersunk-screw/p35337

1 hour ago, Siadwell said:

is okay to use a to torque driver

Torque driver, or impact driver? I'd be cautious about using the latter, but may be OK if you dial it back - try on some scrap.

15 minutes ago, Mike said:

impact driver?

That's what I used for the fence. With no torque adjustment, just have to be careful with the trigger finger.

I used SS ring grooved nails for the cladding, several thousand.

Thanks to all

I will use the recommended SS deck tite screw from toolstation, it seems like I should be able to get away with the impact driver.

Where can I get the right size square drive bit from?

1 hour ago, Siadwell said:

Thanks to all

I will use the recommended SS deck tite screw from toolstation, it seems like I should be able to get away with the impact driver.

Where can I get the right size square drive bit from?

The screws will come with one of the correct driving bits.

+1 to try out on something close to the material you're going to use. Try and round the head and see how hard it really is. Also, you don't have to use any of these drivers like The Hulk. A bit of gentle finesse, feel the torque and back off the power if you hit a knot or something. Proper pressure along the axis of the screw helps a lot as well as high quaity bits.