Drip tray under or over fascia vent on osb roof?

Trying to figure out whether the drip tray can go over the above fascia vent. That seems to fit together easiest but  would seem to block free flow of air between counter battens.

Roof: osb - membrane - counter batten - tile batten

Posted (edited)

This is what it looks like above the drip tray but screw holes would comprise the tray and would also make replacing the fascia very difficult if needed in future.

However I’d the vent goes underneath then the tray/membrane will be blocking the air gap between counter battens

IMG_6290.jpeg

Edited by junglejim

12 minutes ago, nod said:

Your problem is if you don’t sit the tray on the top The. Ents would be hard to fix and not doing much 

Yes agreed… this is my quandary. But does having the vent beneath the tray and membrane affect air flow?

Posted (edited)

On closer inspection I’m not sure an eaves vent is even necessary given that the tiles have ridges in the bottom which essentially do the same but should probably include as per BC spec any way. Any more thoughts??

Edited by junglejim

Over fascia vent fixed to top of fascia, eaves support tray over that to drain to centre of gutter, felt onto eaves support tray.

The vents often have 2 orientations depending on airflow requirements.  They will ventilate the batten space.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Over fascia vent fixed to top of fascia, eaves support tray over that to drain to centre of gutter, felt onto eaves support tray.

The vents often have 2 orientations depending on airflow requirements.  They will ventilate the batten space.

Thank you. However my batten space is above the membrane as roof is osb. So when I run membrane/tray over the vent they would be in the way.

IMG_6299.jpeg

Edited by junglejim

This is what I did in a similar situation

image.png.990f2eeda0aa52d21df63a2477366b5e.png

Eaves tray on first.

Membrane lapped over eaves tray

Counter battens than battens.

OV10 over fascia vent on next

Then tiles, bottom tile resting on OV10 vent.

The OV10 vent is made for this job, it is in line, most other vents tend to "turn a corner" so the outlet would face downwards.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, ProDave said:

This is what I did in a similar situation

image.png.990f2eeda0aa52d21df63a2477366b5e.png

Eaves tray on first.

Membrane lapped over eaves tray

Counter battens than battens.

OV10 over fascia vent on next

Then tiles, bottom tile resting on OV10 vent.

The OV10 vent is made for this job, it is in line, most other vents tend to "turn a corner" so the outlet would face downwards.

Thank you. That’s a really helpful picture... couple more questions if that’s ok?

1. does that  mean screwing through the membrane and tray? Is that a possible problem for water ingress?

2. That vent looks much better… yes mine is a corner one … will have to see if the store have anything else.

3. I notice you’ve cut the counter battens short… I’ve realised that I’ve come too far down and just started cutting back to enable membrane to lift. Presumably you continued cutting them back all the way along.

4. Sub Fascia: nice chunky piece of wood… tempted to do similar as have lots of rafters left over… architect specified ply but can’t see why not use timber. however I’m reluctant to sit tiles on incase I ever need to take off. I was going to create a short fillet and run an extra batten along the bottom edge to do this instead although thinking about it if the vent is also attached I won’t be able to remove anyway. (Hmm)

also my tiles have ridges in which I assume is to enable ventilation as there are clear channels when it is sat on the batten. I feel like BC might insist on a vent strip though?

Thank you… any more pics/advice greatly appreciated as having a bit of a struggle with this.

Edited by junglejim

Actually I don't think that is the OV10 vent there, that is a mock up when working out how to do it.

The builders fitted the counter battens not me, they cut them that length.

Yes vent fixed through membrane and tray

9 minutes ago, LiamJones said:

I’ve also got osb then membrane. 
went with vent above the tray. 

IMG_9776.jpegThanks, makes sense… what kind of vent did you go for? How did you reconcile puncturing the tray/membrane?