Velux or Farko roof window

Hi all,I am thinking of replacing an old velux window in the attic space and a friend has mentioned Farko,the builder who is putting the window for me isn’t sure any recommendations.thanks 

It’s like choosing a Hoover Or should I say vaccine cleaner 

Velux where the first 

I fitted two Keylite  in our workshop and two Velux in the house Keylite a third cheaper Nothing between them other than the Keylite came plain and Velux was painted 

my builder wanted to fit keylite but i overruled it as i wanted a Velux so i could control it via voice command. Probably cost a load more for that feature, but its the only way i control them now so in my eyes worth it.

13 hours ago, David paul said:

Hi all,I am thinking of replacing an old velux window in the attic space and a friend has mentioned Farko,the builder who is putting the window for me isn’t sure any recommendations.thanks 

Whats the reason behind wanting to replace it? Larger size?

If you are just going same size, probably be cheaper to refurb the one you've got if it needs it, and a new pane of glass if the unit is blown, which would provide a small upgrade as glass has moved on

It will. be the same size .my concern is that it’s approximately 30 years old (no issues as yet)but I’m at an age where I don’t want any hassle as I get older. Although you guessed right the glass has gone

5 minutes ago, David paul said:

It will. be the same size .my concern is that it’s approximately 30 years old (no issues as yet)but I’m at an age where I don’t want any hassle as I get older. Although you guessed right the glass has gone

Its done its due thats for sure over 30 years. Newer models have better frame insulation and seals, but they are also very pricey. Just worth weighing it all up. You should be able to get new seals for very little money as spare parts.

9 minutes ago, David paul said:

I should add that potentially the window needs to last another 30 years.

What condition is the timber in?

Everything else is, including the timber to be fair, is serviceable. Externally is aluminium so that should last pretty much forever, same for the flashings, all alu. You could just be looking at a seal and pane replacement

We have 8 Farkos.  Three of them are on one side of our house that gets hit with prevailing winds and rain.  Never had any problems whatsoever with any of them (4 years).  

We have the ones with the white internal frames.   The white is more an off white more creamy colour so if your roof is white be aware of that.  

3 hours ago, David paul said:

Thanks ,MikeGrahamT21.Your absolutely right apart from the glass everything that is visible looks in fairly good shape.will it see me out that’s the question 😁

well I suppose your looking at 30 years of wear. If the room it’s in isn’t humid then it’ll probably last forever, just seals and a little grease every now and then, but that would be same for a new one

• 4 weeks later...