Building materials only insurance

Hi all,

My main contractor's insurance covers the entire build including liability etc but doesn't cover our timber frame kit as we're supplying and paying for this ourselves. Can anyone recommend an insurer that will cover materials only? I've had quotes from Protek and Clear Selfbuild but they cover the entire build including public liability etc etc which I don't need. Any ideas appreciated?

Will your main contractor take on the timber frame risk (for an additional fee)?

If you start purchasing materials and / or employing sub contractors you will need your own insurance.

14 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

Will your main contractor take on the timber frame risk (for an additional fee)?

If you start purchasing materials and / or employing sub contractors you will need your own insurance.

not sure about that.

Has the OP actually seen a copy of the builders contract works insurance ? Do they even have any at all ? I would highly doubt it as its expensive. 

Get a quote for contract works for say 300k of works and you be looking at 1% minimum cost. Builder wont be doing that for free so unless they given you a copy of the policy assume it doesnt exist.

I would take out my own to cover the entire build, I’m sure his won’t cover certain things. 

he takes a week off and locks the site securely, with proof, junkies come in and burn it down, would you not need to provide proof he was at fault in some way for his insurance to pay out ???

I would not want the risk

£1500 to insure everything you have in the project, i would pay it.