Grout color - am I seeing things?

The mastic man is here this week which means the bathroom floors have finally been uncovered…..to reveal grout on the floor which looks a totally different color to that on the walls!

Eugh, we thought we were getting so close to the end!

The tiler swears he used the same grout color for both the wall and floor - I’m super skeptical to be honest (see picture). We also chose a slightly lighter grout for the other bathroom, and mistakes happen. Anyway, he says the difference is due to the wall tile being ceramic and the floor being porcelain. The tile shop says the difference is due to the light.
I think it could (possibly,

maybe, if you really squint) be a combination of light and the gaps between the tiles.

Can anyone hazard a guess as to what reason could be true, and how it might be reasonably improved. Current best suggestion is to just buy a few more shades of grout and trial them until we get a reasonable match and ask the tiler to come back and see if he can scrape the top layer and re-do.

It really does look terrible!

Many thanks

IMG_2764.jpeg

Might have been the same grout colour but a different batch? Tbh though I'd say two different colours.

Is that a line of skinny, circa 1" wide tiles, ska "rips" in the corner or a vertical pencil mark?

I did my floor first. Then brought the wall tiles down to a consistent 1mm off the floor tiles.

Where I effed up was by not using a tile levelling system. 

Likely two different colours. However, the same grout colour can look very different depending in the tile colour and the way light falls on it. We had exactly that issue in the bathroom so tried different colours to get a match. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Is that a line of skinny, circa 1" wide tiles, ska "rips" in the corner or a vertical pencil mark?

Good spot, that does look like a line of very skinny rips. 

7 hours ago, Selfbuildnewbie said:

The tiler swears he used the same grout color for both the wall and floor - I’m super skeptical

If you take a relatively close up photo with flash ‘on’ of the wall tiles/grout and the same for the floor tiles/grout that should put that argument to bed. 

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Skinny tiles, you’re right. To be honest I didn’t spot them from standing so didn’t question it.

1 hour ago, Selfbuildnewbie said:

Skinny tiles, you’re right. To be honest I didn’t spot them from standing so didn’t question it.

Poor planning there. I did exactly the same at the ceiling. As I'd fitted new ceiling joists I should have just counter battened. Wouldn't have had to hunt down 2.7m plasterboard either!

IMG-20190708-WA0007

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Poor planning there. I did exactly the same at the ceiling. As I'd fitted new ceiling joists I should have just counter battened. Wouldn't have had to hunt down 2.7m plasterboard either!

IMG-20190708-WA0007

I’m sure this will go down like a lead balloon - but it’s above eye height so hopefully you’ll eventually forget it’s there :) looks lovely though!

18 minutes ago, Selfbuildnewbie said:

I’m sure this will go down like a lead balloon - but it’s above eye height so hopefully you’ll eventually forget it’s there :) looks lovely though!

To hide some of my poor tiling, where tbh you could hang your coat, I fittted.....

.....a dimmer switch.