PWA required?, Side neighbor, Unknown Depth of Foundation

PencilPot

Good afternoon Everyone

I'm wondered if i can seek your advice thoughts, experience and comments. I am planning on doing a small single story rear extension on the back of my house.

Our house is a (1950’s) semi (ex local authority house). I won't be building on the dividing walls of the houses or the neighbours garden/retaining wall.

I will be building about 4m away from this retaining wall, so my new proposed foundations will not be touching this walls foundation. I have done a couple of illustrations to outline the situation.

There is quite a significant reop between me and my unattached neighbour on the right. With a minimum of 1.8m in height (This is the lowest height of the retaining wall)

The retaining wall between my neighbour and I have been there since the houses were built and is fine structurally although some facings of bricks have blown with the weather and ill repoint and repair these post the extension build and get access to the neighbours land.

Soil wise its hard clay here if that provides additional context. The drawings state my extension foundations should ne 1.5m I don’t officially know what the existing house foundation depth is, for the neighbour or I, However as mentioned I wont be surpassing the neighbours foundation depth.

The wall of the extension and the wall of the neighbour’s house is 4.1m apart. They are also as mentioned nearly 2 meters below in height. So my understanding is it is not within 3 meters and also I will not be putting foundations lower than the neighbour’s house. Therefore a PWA agreement is not required.

thumbnail_image003.jpg.fac577dbe6ee1c733506b1e7f4b92d9a.jpg

thumbnail_image004.jpg.b2ea59866124ba10d0aa3d3a9c1cde11.jpg

*Number 26, Party wall agreement required, my question is around number 28. 

I believe the neighbour has been sent a legal letter from a solicitor who has seen the planning applications online and sends blanket letters requesting Party wall agreement representation via them.

I have been informed the neighbour has asked them to assess the status of the retaining wall an how sound it is.

My questions are as follows

·         As far as I understand if this assessment is done and there is a cost to it (the neighbours assessment) I would not be liable as I’m not I the party wall requirement? Is that correct?

·         I have spoken to my Architect who is also a structural engineer and surveyor, and he has said there is no concern. Do I also need to run this via building control?

·         I presume if the PVA is not required that I don’t need to serve any form of notice and can look to begin the works and just start?

·         My question is around a Party wall agreement, based on the information above and the diagram below is a party wall agreement required?

I just want to double check and someone else may have similar  experience to me. Thanks in advance for your comments

Edited by PencilPot

My understanding is garden walls are party walls, this from gov website.

Party walls stand on the land of 2 or more owners and either:

• form part of a building
  • don’t form part of a building, such as a garden wall (not wooden fences)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hi Joe 

Thank you for your reply, right, I wasn't aware of that myself? This is the kind of discussion i wanted to invite so thank you for your reply.

My understanding still would be that even if the wall comes into play i will not be going lower than the wall or indeed its foundations either, so would that again mean it would not apply? Or am i incorrect here?

Edited by PencilPot

Posted (edited)

Thank you for your reply bassanclan

The fence that runs that side and sits on the wall is mine, nothing explicitly said about the wall in terms of ownership or shared ownership.  The original boundary posts and fence posts sit in the middle of the wall. As they do on many more in this local area.

I have asked the local council for more clarity but there is nothing mentioned that they have visibility to either. I think there are instances where the liability is shared, due to no 100% clarity and also instances where the house retained may have done repairs.

But the T is on that side of the land in my deeds

Edited by PencilPot

20 hours ago, PencilPot said:

I believe the neighbour has been sent a legal letter from a solicitor who has seen the planning applications online and sends blanket letters requesting Party wall agreement representation via them.

Ambulance chasers by the sound of it, I know of two cases where a PWA has caused problems and wasted money so not a fan of them (but realise they are needed in some circumstances). 

• Like 1

Thank you Hugh and Joe for your responses

Well i have an update a letter landed on my doorstep this morning from a party wall solicitor citing that they have been authorised by my neighbours to act for them in relation to the proposed building works, and that under the party wall act i need to serve one month notice prior to commencement of the works and that i should direct all plans and communication to them in their office.

They are also stating they can act for me also.

I thought on 2 grounds the act wouldn't apply based on the above, am i wrong? Everything i have read seems to support that.

• The party wall agreement only applies if you are building within 3m of the neighbours foundations. Which i am not as its just over 4m away.
  • The foundation's need to go lower than the neighbours foundations to make the party wall act valid within that 3m boundary, and my foundations will not be going lower.

Am i right on the two points above and if so what response  shall i give to the letter sent?

I would take lots of photos especially of any areas of cracks, etc on the wall and neighbours house then carry on, get the diggers in on a Saturday morning and book the building inspector and concrete for the following Monday!

Better still stalk the neighbour on Facebook etc and find out when they are off on holiday and get the shell built before they get back.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Thank you both for your replies once again 🙂

Hi Joe 

Sorry I meant i will be 4.1 meters away from there house. the garden wall is my responsibility it has a T on my deeds but we will not be doing foundations lower than that wall or the neighbours house (which is 4.1m away)

Edited by PencilPot
  • Like 1

On 19/07/2024 at 00:04, joe90 said:

IMO you can either ignore the letter or reply stating the PWA is not required.

This…. I’d ignore it and just crack on.

• Like 2

On 19/07/2024 at 00:04, joe90 said:

IMO you can either ignore the letter or reply stating the PWA is not required.

Thanks Joe, yes i emailed them and said 

"Thank you for your letter dated x.  Please be aware that we will not be conducting notifiable works with regards to (address)"

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think its quite possible the neighbour has requested them to work on their behalf, after a spammed letter sent purely based on the public records avlaible for the extension.

I have read that no surveyor can be instructed until a PWA request ahs been served anyway. So as both have mentioned above i presume that still stands :)

Once again thank you for your inputs

Edited by PencilPot

Bear in mind that as soon as you serve a Party Wall notice you will be liable for the fees of your surveyor plus those of the adjoining owner.  In any case you will be liable for any damage.

If you do the work without serving a notice the only recourse the adjoining owner has is to issue a High Court injunction.  If they are not successful with the injunction they will be liable for your fees and expenses in defending it so quite a gamble if they are not sure of winning.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PencilPot said:

after a spammed letter sent purely based on the public records avlaible for the extension.

Yes I have come across a family member in this situation, she does not require a PWA but has received a letter telling her she does and they will act for her.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, joe90 said:

Yes I have come across a family member in this situation, she does not require a PWA but has received a letter telling her she does and they will act for her.

What did they do in this instance just ignore it i presume?