Boundary/DPM damp issue

Hi all,
As my diagram tries to show, we have a rear extension the wall of which is set back from the boundary with my neighbour by 100mm. This was because the neighbour didn't want to have founds on his land - which was absolutely fine, no issue.
The level of the gardens rises as you move away from the house - ours has been dug down so the extension floor is level - but the neighbour's still rises.
The issue is that at the back edge of our extension, their garden is higher than the DPM on our extension wall. Initially this wasn't an issue but the flowerbed on his side has been filled in up against the wall.
I was considering putting a low, narrow fence along the outside of my wall, just inside the boundary (like a 2 foot high one) to prevent buildup against my wall. But this isn't ideal as it too would have mud up against it, and rot over time.
So I'm looking for any hints or tips on how to prevent the level of the neighbour's garden encroach above my DPM.
We get along, so I'm sure he's amenable to things...
Thank you!

image.thumb.png.4cff0c7fc6c0836a20add1351b08a7ab.png

It's not good. Would be a worry if the neighbour sold on and the new one used that space.

All i can think of is to effectively permanently lend the neighbour that 100mm. 

Level off your and their land at the lower level and surface it in tarmac or concrete or gravel grid. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, comedydave1980 said:

I was considering putting a low, narrow fence along the outside of my wall, just inside the boundary (like a 2 foot high one) to prevent buildup against my wall. But this isn't ideal as it too would have mud up against it, and rot over time.

I would use a 300mm concrete gravel board. You don't need his soil against your wall.

• Like 2

Tell your neighbour to move his soil away from your building and into his own property.

I can see a situation where your neighbour extends their garden the 100mm into your property and up against your extension so that over time the extension wall becomes the boundary. Nip this on the bud now. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ETC said:

Tell your neighbour to move his soil away 

Is this irony? If so, please excuse.

Or have I missed some fundamental point? 

The OP has built below the neighbour's land.  The neighbour has been left with a messy boundary.  The neighbour has been helpful and is blameless. 

What practical use is that 100mm? It can stay on the deeds.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Is this irony? If so, please excuse.

Or have I missed some fundamental point? 

The OP has built below the neighbour's land.  The neighbour has been left with a messy boundary.  The neighbour has been helpful and is blameless. 

What practical use is that 100mm? It can stay on the deeds.

For the hard of thinking see attached.

IMG_3931.png

Needlessly rude. There are polite ways to disagree.

I've given my suggestion already. I think it works. 

Telling the neighbour to reduce their garden level , when it isn't their extension, probably doesn’t. 

Sometimes I just let people go their own way.

I'm turning off the 'follow' button on this one.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Needlessly rude. There are polite ways to disagree.

I've given my suggestion already. I think it works. 

Telling the neighbour to reduce their garden level , when it isn't their extension, probably doesn’t. 

Sometimes I just let people go their own way.

I'm turning off the 'follow' button on this one.

Feel free to read both my posts properly.

Lads lads lads. 

Thanks for getting involved, but boy this got heated! Thank you all for the input.

As well as the suggestions here, I've had a suggestion of a stub wall up against my wall with a DPM vertically between it and my wall for the length of the wall. The outside of the new wall would be on the boundary, and damp couldn't get through it to my extension wall. This sounds good. This is similar to the concrete gravel board suggestion (thanks @Gone West) (again with DPM vertically between it and my wall could work). 

@ETC thanks for the diagram, that captures it.

Something physical is probably the only realistic solution, because even if he digs it out now, over time it's going to fill back up with crud. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but some day in the future, I'll have to crack this nut again. Damp waits for no man and soil creeps. (There's also the added benefit of demarcating the boundary.) 

@saveasteading I'm not sure I fully understood your suggestion of leveling off both mine and his land, if he doesn't want his level brought down? 

• Like 1