Site clearance quote

MariaD

I've bought a site with a size of 800 sqm. I've been quoted €3000 from a cleaning garden company to cut the weeds and the bushes to ground level and take the waste away.

Is that a fair price? If not, what would it be?

Thanks in advance.

Can't say. It depends what is there and where you live.

An option is to have a digger in to strip the topsoil and everything in and above it. All in a big pile and it will rot to good soil in 6 months to a year....sticks and logs a bit longer.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ProDave said:

I did my 1/3 acre plot all on my own. Can you not do the same?

I do not live close to it and I do not have a digger or a mower. And there is a big patch of gorse bushes, I'd say it covers a third of the site.

Edited by MariaD

1 hour ago, saveasteading said:

Can't say. It depends what is there and where you live.

An option is to have a digger in to strip the topsoil and everything in and above it. All in a big pile and it will rot to good soil in 6 months to a year....sticks and logs a bit longer.

thanks for the suggestion.

I would say that's maybe 8 person days max :) of brush cutting at whatever daily rate (EUR 200?), so EUR 1,600? A few hundred to have it carted away. EUR 2K all in?

Maybe 50% of that or less if most can be done with a small tractor and a flail mower ... and they have the equipment sitting around and live within a km or two.

• Like 1

I'm cautious about bonfires - I don't know whether the 'authorities' could claim that as 'contamination' at some point. Anyone know for sure? 

>>> Maybe 50% of that or less if most can be done with a small tractor and a flail mower

Actually, I think that should be 1/2 day or less with that equipment

>>> An option is to have a digger in to strip the topsoil and everything in and above it.

Might that be construed as 'commencement'?

9 minutes ago, Alan Ambrose said:

Might that be construed as 'commencement'

Normally that would be seen as insufficient.  You would need to ask your planners.

Bonfires are to be avoided/ minimised.

If your local tip will take it, there isn't an excuse. 

A lot of men like bonfires and it saves money, but it is a bad thing and usually avoidable.

If you have space, pile up waste timber and let nature deal with it. 

A chipper will reduce garden sticks by 90% and you have mulch.

Topsoil is valuable. Don't pay to take it away then buy more later. All the foliage and roots will rot if in a big pile, and reduce by about half. 

Having cleared our own site I wouldn’t take it on for anyone else for £3k, but then, I dug up the bushes so they wouldn’t just regrow in no time.  You can probably get cheaper but that might mean less professional, tidy and courteous to your neighbours (if you have any).

• Like 1