Preparing for the wallplate

I'm about to pour the last bit of concrete before putting in the wall-plate on the piggery. Have a look at this;

20171023_160230.thumb.jpg.44485ada95cbdfe9b88983b9774f6f69.jpg

Once I have poured the last 100mm or so of concrete, (in the holes you see) I will need to fasten the wall-plate to it. 

Should I run the wall-plate right the way through the gable, or cut  the wall-plate flush with the gable and fill that with concrete?

The image below should help explain..

I have deliberately not poured concrete into the gable block in line with the wall-plate - just in case your advice is that the wall-plate should run all the way through the gable

20171023_160142.thumb.jpg.70bce5d3fe33ef2a53b38ac8dc50efe1.jpg

Maybe it doesn't matter, and both options are reasonable.

Just for information, this building isn't subject to Building Regs: it replaces the old piggery which has stood there for about a century or so.

what RichS said.

I was told it doesn't really matter but have the outside forward run down to the corner but it was easier for me to run into gable bottom. Mainly because I was cutting corner blocks and therefore would have to add inside edge of EPS. 

20171019_Gable.thumb.jpg.566a6c19561ab94bbcf6f614d8fe9a35.jpg

I wonder if there's any merit casting in projecting studs ready for the wallplate or indeed have over length studs bolted to the wall plate. When the concrete is dry nut ' em down!

You would of course have to pre know where your trusses are going!

Hmmm, excellent idea(s) @Onoff The roof will be vaulted, so no need for  trusses.

I like the projecting studs idea. I'd have to set them in some kind of 'chair' so they are perfectly vertical.... I like the idea partly because I have about a mile of threaded bar left over from the shuttering. The other thing is the the wall plate can be tweeked perfectly level with that system (- I suppose: never been here before as usual )

Thanks for the photo @Alex. I like that corner detail. Makes sense.

44 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Hmmm, excellent idea(s) @Onoff The roof will be vaulted, so no need for  trusses.

I like the projecting studs idea. I'd have to set them in some kind of 'chair' so they are perfectly vertical.... I like the idea partly because I have about a mile of threaded bar left over from the shuttering. The other thing is the the wall plate can be tweeked perfectly level with that system (- I suppose: never been here before as usual )

Thanks for the photo @Alex. I like that corner detail. Makes sense.

It is the sort of thing I'd do just to see if I could!  

So...thinking out loud:

- Maybe some vertical, batten supports coming up off the rear face of the wall

- Wall plate needs to be neatly drilled with vertical holes i.e. not on the pi$$.

- Slightly over size the holes

- If you want the fixing nuts recessed then drill first with a spade bit just bigger than the socket you will use to tighten them. Then drill thru with your say 14mm bit for M12 stud.

- Fill with concrete

- Expanding metal tacked to rear of wall plate - drill thru each location again to clear the mesh 

- Screw wall plate to temporary uprights (level). A few inches up in the air.

- Poke studs thru into concrete...would you want a "bend" on the end? Could add a couple of nuts and big square washer.

- When concrete is dry, drop wall plate down onto a sticky mortar bed having first cut the studs to length.

- Nut it up!

Or ignore me an drill / resin fix after the concrete! :)

Edited by Onoff

2 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Right, @Onoff, I really like that approach. So, I'll mock it all up today, take some photos and post them here later.

It's the journey (code for 'learning') that really matters. It takes a huge chunk of time, but sod it, I enjoy learning for myself. Even falling walls can teach you stuff. :$

Someone will be along shortly to tell you I'm leading you astray :)