levelling the garden and planting hedge

can anyone suggest if I can make a hedge around the road? (see the blue line). The blue line is the boundary. Outside the blue line a pedestrian road and then a public road, i.e., not shared with a neighbour. I searched online said there is no permission needed but still would like to check. Can I also remove the brick wall, which will be inside the hedge. this will give bigger garden at the side of the house since the real garden is small due to the extension 

Also, the land within the blue line is not flat, which can be seen from the second pic. If I want to level it, maybe not entirely flat but with a reasonably small angle of slope, is it a reasonable project? is permission needed from the council? anyone could estimate the cost?  

thanks 

image.png.3407e9b40464a7fffa5ee2c12f0bb894.png

Screenshot2024-07-08at00_51_19.thumb.png.2bdc2d2922d7393f750785e1a0ddd4ee.png

Have a look around the surrounding houses.  Has anyone else done this?  If no, there is likely to be a planning condition or covenant preventing it.

You might get away with it but being on a corner visibility around the corner for traffic may be a concern.  In any event I would not try and enclose anything in front of the front wall of the house.

A hedge might enclose it, and if nobody complains once the hedge has grown to maturity to screen the garden you could let the wall fall down.

But a hedge will do nothing to raise the ground level, for that you need a retaining wall, completely different thing, so you might end up with a bigger, but sloping garden.

If you have not yet bought the house, £3 gets you a copy of the house deeds from the land registry.  Find out if there are covenants or restrictions on the use of that bit of land, e.g it might be designated amenity land.

Or look for a more suitable house to buy that gives the garden you want?

52 minutes ago, ProDave said:

And has more bedrooms (from your other thread)

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

leylandi

I would prefer Laurel and put some sheep fencing tight inside it for it to grow through then dogs and people can’t get through it.

Edited by joe90

My BIL lives in a house where this was done successfully a long time ago by a previous owner.  His corner plot garden is now enclosed by a nice mature Beech hedge right on the boundary substantially increasing the garden compared to the small bit originally enclosed by a fence.  but he bought it like that so he did not take the risk of being told to take it down, or having to wait for it to grow.  And the garden was all flat to start with.

19 minutes ago, ProDave said:

His corner plot garden is now enclosed by a nice mature Beech hedge

Yes Beech is nice too especially copper beech.

On 08/07/2024 at 11:48, ProDave said:

Have a look around the surrounding houses.  Has anyone else done this?  If no, there is likely to be a planning condition or covenant preventing it.

You might get away with it but being on a corner visibility around the corner for traffic may be a concern.  In any event I would not try and enclose anything in front of the front wall of the house.

A hedge might enclose it, and if nobody complains once the hedge has grown to maturity to screen the garden you could let the wall fall down.

But a hedge will do nothing to raise the ground level, for that you need a retaining wall, completely different thing, so you might end up with a bigger, but sloping garden.

If you have not yet bought the house, £3 gets you a copy of the house deeds from the land registry.  Find out if there are covenants or restrictions on the use of that bit of land, e.g it might be designated amenity land.

thanks a lot for your suggestions. There is nothing in the deeds so i assume this is not a problem but the traffic could be an concern. You are right, but this one comes with a very good view I like very much. 

As side of reducing visibility at the junction, your LPA might view that area as public amenity space and not want you to close it off. There might be a bit of paper hidden somewhere that has restrictions on it. You won't know until you do it and somebody complains!