To Zone or Not to Zone When Upgrading a Wet Heating System from Gas to Heat Pump for Maximum Climate Impact: A UK View

Just now, JamesPa said:

Im guessing cheap electric Is mostly nighttime when it's cold outside.  That presumably accounts for high usage, plus of course the need for higher lwt.  Double whammy, although if it's cheap it's probably also green, so arguably not bad!  I look forward to hearing about the comparison.

not allways, on octopus go a lot of the free sessions are middle of the day when there is excess renewables.

Car 2 home is the answer for time shifting as they have enough capacity for even largest houses.

52 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

not allways, on octopus go a lot of the free sessions are middle of the day when there is excess renewables.

Car 2 home is the answer for time shifting as they have enough capacity for even largest houses.

But if you don't or can't have (no signal) a smart meter you can choose E7 or standard tariff.  We have no smart meter signal so are on E7.

I was finding batch heating was fine down to about zero outside, below this I couldn't generate enough kWh of heat in 7 hours, to supply 24hrs of heat, so heat pump would continually to run during peak rate at high load and start draining the battery too much.

Edited by JohnMo

4 hours ago, JohnMo said:

But if you don't or can't have (no signal) a smart meter you can choose E7 or standard tariff.  We have no smart meter signal so are on E7.

I was finding batch heating was fine down to about zero outside, below this I couldn't generate enough kWh of heat in 7 hours, to supply 24hrs of heat, so heat pump would continually to run during peak rate at high load and start draining the battery too much.

we have a wifi dongle from octopus that sends them the readings every 10 mins as we have terrible mobile reception. gets over that hurdle.

1 hour ago, Dave Jones said:

we have a wifi dongle from octopus that sends them the readings every 10 mins as we have terrible mobile reception. gets over that hurdle.

Just checked with Octopus and they are saying that there is nothing they can do to help my reception, think it's a long wave radio thing in Scotland. But they did put me on a cheaper fixed rate E7.

13 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

apply for smart meter and get one

I already have one but they cannot get past the start of commissioning due to zero communication.

11 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

I already have one but they cannot get past the start of commissioning due to zero communication.

ah ok. will they not send you a ready commissioned one with a mini ?

On 30/07/2024 at 16:01, Dave Jones said:

apply for smart meter and get one ? The agile tariff is excellent if your setup to arbitrage the rates

I’ve been on agile for 2 years saved probably saved me £900 in a that period compared to the government cap prices 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, JoeBano said:

I’ve been on agile for 2 years saved probably saved me £900 in a that period compared to the government cap prices 

Are you saying you have saved £900 over two years on £2500 per year (£5000)?

Or saved £900 in your bill, which may be higher than the price cap average.

I have not spend £900 on electricity in 2 years, so can't really save that much.

3 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Are you saying you have saved £900 over two years on £2500 per year (£5000)?

Or saved £900 in your bill, which may be higher than the price cap average.

I have not spend £900 on electricity in 2 years, so can't really save that much.

Well just looked on my octopus watch app (3rd party app) 14th July 2023 to 13th July 2024 used 8756kWh at average rate of 17p/kWh. What was the electricity cap last winter 27p/kWh? You won’t like this my base load was 1991 kWh need to start turning things off! 😂

Depending on your time of day useage you could be saving north of 40p kwh for on saving sessions. This is why vehicle 2 home with 70+KWH of storage at 11kW peak is very attractive option come the winter. Savings per month will be significant.